Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 2, 2018   #1
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Default Chlorothalonil, Dangerous Chemical

Anyone using chlorothalonil should be aware of the danger associated with this chemical.

New Zealand EPA

Human health risk assessment

The risks to human health are highest for the exposure of a toddler (bystander) entering an area where chlorothalonil has been applied. Estimated exposures of up to 100 times higher than acceptable levels have been identified. Estimated exposures to operators(i.e. people mixing,loading and applying the substance)are greater than the acceptable level for all products. The assessment indicates that the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) is necessary to reduce exposure to an acceptable level
However, EPA staff do not consider it is appropriate to assume that home users will either wear the correct PPE or use and maintain it properly (i.e. wash/store it appropriately and replace it when necessary).
Risks to re-entry workers for all use scenarios are also not acceptable.

What this implies in my opinion is that even after it is applied it is still toxic. Best to keep the children and pets out of the garden during and after application.

Also according to the EPA document The United States may be only nation that allows
chlorothaloni to be used in home gardens.

Australia -

No home garden pesticides containing chlorothalonil are currently registered .

Canada - Chlorothalonil is not registered in Canada for use around homes or other residential areas such as parks, school grounds and playing fields. I assume this means home gardens also but not sure,

European Union

Chlorothalonil is registered for use as a plant protection in Europe EU, 2006 ) for professional use . Based on concerns relating to acute and chronic human health effects (corrosive, skin sens itisation and suspected carcinogen) chlorothalonil is not approved for non - professional
use

According to the New Zealand EPA

Given the hazards associated with chlorothalonil and its formulations, EPA staff consider that there is potential for adverse effects to occur at any point during the lifecycle of these substances. The staff note that the hazardous properties of these substances have the potential to cause major adverse effects

In my humble opinion this just reaffirms that our own EPA which is supposed to protect us is really protecting the interests of the chemical companies profits over the health of its own citizens. And yes in my opinion the United States EPA is corrupt.

https://www.epa.govt.nz/assets/FileAPI/hsno-ar/APP202349/APP202349-APP202349-Application-FINAL.pdf

Last edited by seaeagle; November 2, 2018 at 12:10 PM.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chlorothalonil , daconil