Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 23, 2019   #1
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Default Help! Slow growth and curling cotyledons

So I started almost all of my tomatoes and peppers using the baggy Method late February potting them at fist sign of germination into solo cups. A lot of them were up out of the soil by 3-6. So far very few are just now starting to get true leaves and the cotyledons are curling. I have a small light set up in a second story furnace room that gets down in the lower 60s and up to the 70s. The lights that I am are 2 2 bulb T8 6500k lights and also a plant light that I got when I first started growing from seed. At first I thought that the lights were the problem so I raised them to about 4-5” above. They were 2-3” before. They are not at all leggy but leaning a bit perhaps. They are on for about 18 hours with 6-8 hours between but that isn’t always consistent. They are in seed starting Mix. I don’t really know what going on. Previous years I have started them under lights in the garage with lower temps. The only thing different is the brand of starting Mix and also I got a new light fixture. It just seem weird and I’m out of ideas as to what is going on. I also have a small container of mint under the same lights that is going bonkers by now. I don’t know if that matters. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk