Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 28, 2019   #1
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default Fellow Floridians and other Hot/Humid climates - season '19-20

This is a continuation of the original 'Hey Fellow Floridians' thread that was started on Oct 1, 2014 by Fiishergurl (Ginny) and the later HFF Year 2. That thread contained a lot of great information from the most dedicated Florida tomato growers but when trying to locate anything, it was very cumbersome.

So after 3548 posts, with 237 pages and over 267K views, it was decided to start a new thread to coincide with the new fall tomato growing season.
Here's a link to the old thread that may be useful when it becomes inactive:

http://http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=37937

We grow more than tomatoes. Everyone is welcome to contribute; the more the merrier.

Now for the important info:

Yellow Sticky cards - the only brand to buy when living with lizards is Seabright. Usually about $15 for 15. I use 1 per plant/Earthbox and haven't had aphids, whiteflies, leaf miners since.

I think Marsha used 1 card per 6 or 8 feet. So use your judgement.

Marsha's fungal disease formula:

Per Gallon:
1/2Tablespoon Southern Ag Liquid★Copper★Fungicide
1teaspoon BT ( Thurcide and Dipel are some examples)
Liquid dish soap such as Seventh Generation, or Organic liquid Laundry soap

Add a bit of water to your pump sprayer, then measure your★copper★concentrate, add rest of water to fill container, and I also rinse my measuring spoon into container.

AFTER all water has been added, put in your BT, and a small squeeze of the liquid soap.
Mix well.

BarbK Note: The BT is added for caterpillars. I think Marsha was trying to show that you could treat both with the same spray.

The big takeaway was the amount of Liquid Copper Fungicide used was much less than the instructions by the vendor.

I typically do not get fungal diseases; I have a ton of wind where I live so it may be good for something like drying the leaves. In January '2019 I had a breakout of powdery mildew on my tomato plants leaves - not all thankfully.

Welcome everyone.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote