Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 7, 2019   #1
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Default Wasps

Yesterday, I tackled a long-overdue project at my boyfriend's (and now my) home: some work on a bird-of-paradise plant at the back edge of the property that is over 20 feet tall, and had many dead limbs/fronds on it. I assume it was planted out by the original owner, and it's been sadly neglected. Unfortunately I discovered that a large amount of wasps apparently have a nest somewhere on or very near the right side of the plant. I got stung about six times around the ankles and lower legs; later yesterday when picking up the detritus for collection I got stung in the hand. Thankfully, it's fine today, but we really need to keep working on that plant.

I realize wasps aren't bees, but understand they do have their place in the ecosystem and in the garden, so I don't think I want to spray and kill them all -- but any ideas on how to get them to move out of the way so we can finish working on that plant? (Also, I know, I need to work much more covered-up than I was initially. Finished up wearing long pants, thick socks, long sleeves, a hat and I even considered wearing a scarf as a veil over my face. Turns out the one guy could also sting me through a rather thin garden glove.)

I thought about hosing the area with a strong water spray from a distance before we get in there and set up a ladder to start working on the top area. Or should I just suck it up and make sure I'm well covered?

Ann
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote