Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 9, 2020   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Need a bit of info?

I have grown hundreds of varieties of tomatoes over the last couple of decades but due to the soil problems and diseases a huge amount of the varieties I tried never made any fruit so only the ones that survived year after year were considered worth trying to grow in my garden. Then I narrowed them down to only the best tasting ones that also continued to produce in our hot humid climate with all the accompanying diseases and pests. Gradually the fusarium wilt problems became too much for me to deal with and I started grafting and that renewed the joy I got from growing and eating tomatoes. For the past ten years I have further narrowed down the varieties that I really enjoy both growing and eating. My taste in tomatoes runs toward the juicy, well balanced tomatoes with what is frequently called old fashioned tomato taste and I really don't care for bland mild tomatoes or super sweet tomatoes.

I have added some varieties to experiment with and some to try again with hopes of better results due to the grafting. Some of the varieties are ones I have seen spoken of favorably on this site and others I just decided to try from the description given on Gary Ibsen's TomatoFest site where I purchased the seeds.

What I would like to know is what your experiences and opinions on some of the ones I am trying this year and probably next year as well. I got started late in my grafting due to some problems with seedlings dying during the bad rainy dark weather we had this winter and I had to start many of the varieties again and so I only have some of the varieties grafted and in the garden now and plan to set out as many of the others as I can this year even though some may not fair so well in the heat. I have completed all the grafting for this year and am waiting on some to finish healing and then hardened off to go outside.

The first group are the ones that are in the garden and producing green fruit right now and the second group are the ones I hope to get in the garden in the next few weeks if they all survived the grafting and hardening off stage.

In the ground and growing well:
St. Teresa
German Queen
Earl's Faux
Italian Tree
St. Lucie
Cuostralee
Mexican

Waiting to set out:
African Queen
Brandywine OTV
Brunette
Aussie
Cindy's West Virginia
Giant Doochov
Good Old Fashioned Red
Mortgage Lifter Radiator Charlie's

I would really appreciate any help you can give me and any tips or experiences you have had with these varieties.

Thanks

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote