Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 11, 2020   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default Beautiful, uniform, blemish free tomatoes

I normally grow larger beefsteak tomatoes, but now I want to compile a list of tomatoes that meet these four criteria: 1. Excellent old-time tomato taste even if they are the earlier, smaller fruited varieties. Some of the smaller ones tend to be somewhat sweeter, and that is OK, but I also would like varieties with a more tart, acidic taste. 2. Blemish-free appearance. The varieties that consistently produce beautiful, uniform tomatoes that are practically blemish-free with good eye-appeal. I am primarily interested in varieties that produce smooth, round globes and are free of cat-facing and ribbed shoulders or an irregular or fluted main body. 3. A relatively short date-to-maturity after transplanting time (less than 72 days) so I can have nice-looking tomatoes earlier, and plant a later crop that can mature well before frost. 4. By virtue of taste and appearance, would be an excellent market tomato.

We know that most of the cherry tomatoes are small and virtually perfect, so I'm more interested in somewhat larger varieties, that produce tomatoes up to about the 6-8-10 ounce range, including the bush varieties. I have a definite interest in the bush varieties since I can grow more in less space and they don't require the substantial staking or caging like the big beefsteaks need, such as Goliath.

Thanks in advance for what I expect to be a great list tasty and beautiful varieties suggested by the knowledgeable growers here at Tomatoville. I don't have much experience with these and I'd like to try a few while I still have time to grow them off before the cool weather sets in.

Don

Last edited by TomatoDon; July 11, 2020 at 05:32 AM.
TomatoDon is offline   Reply With Quote