Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 10, 2021   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Japanese Beetles On Eggplant

This is what I found yesterday when I discovered the arrival of Japanese beetles.

The interesting part is that while they chewed on the Millionaire eggplant on the left, the Chinese String eggplant (on the right and one of this year’s toys) hasn’t been touched at all. Maybe they just hadn’t had a chance yet.

There were no beetles on the plants in the middle of the afternoon today. I will check this evening when it becomes shaded and cooler to see if the beetles prefer a cooler time like I do!

I have read that the first Jap beetles are scouts and will report tasty findings to their friends. If you kill the first ones you find you'll have a lot less of them later. Old wives' tale? I have no clue BUT it does seem to work. Coincidence? Or is some other factor at play? Who knows. However I will be ready to do battle with any that I find. There’s a cup of soap water at the ready.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote