Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 9, 2022   #11
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2021 View Post
Working my way through this very long thread and decided to jump to the end to ask if anyone has used this specific product: EP Minerals "Floor Dry"

https://www.grainger.com/product/EP-...sorbent-191W88

The tech sheet (link on above page) states that the pH is 6.5. I had seen a few earlier posts mentioning pH being too high but this is slightly acidic so I think (?) it could work for seed starting.

Any advise would be welcome. I usually just use commercial germinating medium for starting seed. Would love to try a DE medium if it reduces damping off/fungus but I also don't want to waste precious seed.

BTW Grainger lists 3 DE-based sorbents (not counting one that is "scented"):
https://www.grainger.com/category/sa...&filters=attrs
Haven't been here in a while.

As far as PH, it's going to vary, you could get some that is 6.5 or up in the 7's. The DE I have tested here anyway seem to be in the 7's. It never presented a problem for the germination stage anyway, which is my main use, Actually growing seedlings in pure DE can be a problem with some plant types if the PH is in the high 7's. I create mixes with DE,Coco or peat,and compost or worm castings that I've grown seedlings out to the potting up stage. I like to mess around like that to see what works and doesn't, but I've got a good PH meter so I can fine tune the PH of the final mix.

Last edited by RayR; January 9, 2022 at 01:03 AM.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote