Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 27, 2022   #1
HastingsMN
Tomatovillian™

Default Your tips for recording production/journaling?

Hi, I mostly lurk here, and I learn a lot. I became a Master Gardener last year and now in the depths of a Minnesota winter I find I have signed myself up for FOUR horticultural extension seed trials. I was wondering if you all had any practical tips for keeping up with recording data, like production. It seems as if some people are very organized about journals and I would love to hear about the everyday logistics. For instance, I see that some people know how many pounds of tomatoes they got off a certain plant. Do you weigh each tomato you bring in, and jot it on a list somewhere? Do you keep spreadsheets?

I aspire to be a more organized gardener (I can be organized in lots of other things!). I am pretty good about planning, and make a lot of lists and do check things off. I have spreadsheets for some of my OP seeds so I know which ones I have to make sure to refresh and plant and save.

I have attempted a regular garden journal the last three years, but it mostly gets recorded in up to about April/May and then gets lost in the busyness of actual gardening and volunteering and then the whole gainful employment thing. I try to record things like first harvest dates for different varieties, or at least take photos on my phone so I have dates for certain things like when the poppies finally bloomed, etc. And after it snows in the fall I try to write down some things to remember, like if I spaced plants too close or far apart.

How do you keep records for your garden and make it work? (Confessions of failed journalers are great too ha ha.)

Susanne
HastingsMN is offline   Reply With Quote