Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 27, 2022   #1
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Default So, I don't know what to leave out this year.?.

I just have a small backyard these last couple years,and plant in raised beds. Last years harvest was astounding to be honest. I had to trim back some of the tomatoes because they got so big they were blocking out the sun < wink wink>. I'm in So Oregon. Hot and dry in the summer with a heavy dose of smoke due to the annual forest fires.

I planted last year:

Crnkovic Yugoslavian ( a mainstay and huge producer for me here)

Wes (another mainstay and great flavor and production)

Amana Orange. I started growing Amana after the daughter gave me seeds. The resultant taste of this one was off the charts. I don't remember everything about it except that it had a sprightly citrus flavor that was just wonderful. Much like Malachite Box was for us. I didn't save seed and when I bought seed the fruit was different. They yielded great and flavor was very good,but it wasn't the same tomato we grew from daughters seed. I secured more seed from her but they are quite old she told me.

Aunt Ginny's Purple (never grown this one)

Aunt Rubys German Green crop failed won't plant this year.

Akers West Virginia

JD's Special Tex The Akers and JD's got mixed up. The grandkids were over and gathered up all the plant labels. ha ha.

Anyway,I made the mistake of reading the forum posts and now am wondering if I need to add Taiga and Bulgarian Triumph ( I already have seed for Bulgarian),but I do really like my heart tomatoes..and the Taiga is a visually striking tomato,although that shouldn't be a qualifier...still..

Also thinking about Azoychka as I still have seed for this one and lost the only plant of it that I planted last year.

So,I could use some advice as to which to drop. I don't know where else to plant more tomatoes. Last year I must have given 50lbs away. I don't mind doing it,but I noticed the neighbors would close their blinds and act like they weren't home when they saw me coming up their sidewalk.

Trop.