Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 10, 2023   #1
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Default Impatient?

Being a fifty year or more tomato grower, my plants are growing at a fifty year low pattern. It is like they are in hibernation. They all look healthy enough, the soil has been tested and is in balance, rainfall has been good even though the area is in a severe drought. There is adequate sunshine and temperatures are well within the normal range.

Historically no extra fertilization is necessary, but I am wondering what to do next. All the twenty-five plants have stopped growing and tend to be tall and slender rather than bushing out as expected. Most have blossoms and small tomatoes but there has been no change in a couple of weeks.

With the hotter days coming soon I am afraid sunscald will doom what fruit there is without foliage to help shade it. I am about ready to add fertilizer to kickstart some growth.

Any suggestions or ideas?