Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 30, 2008   #1
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Default Beyond Luther Burbank

That's a working title for a book about potatoes. After several hints from book authors and my family, I may just start the baby steps towards putting some outlines down, writing a few essays, how to features, using fascicles of potato drivel and power point illustrations.

Dr. Carol Deppe and I are going to put out a very small demonstration plot of my potatoes in Oregon. Pretty much confirmed that today. She is convinced that some potatoes on organic ground with absolutely no irrigation, relying simply on rainfall, generate the best flavors. This would be a test to verify our suspicions and experience. Anything positive would substantiate credibility.

I am too much a fan of Burbank, not to demonstrate my life long ambition to do anything similar to what he has done. I know of Burbank from legend and by reading his volumes. To emulate Burbank is to go beyond Burbank, thus my title.

How many people on this forum have growers producing a million pounds or more of his/her varieties? How many gardeners on this forum have a variety that they can't have, that they produced from their own breeding efforts?

There is an article being published about me being one of the rarest of private breeders of potatoes. The issues brought up in this article will spearhead many of my concerns regarding diversity and experience.

Dr. Deppe wants me to demonstrate a variety or two that can be maintained every year by TPS (true potato seed) and that will be easy.

More later

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote