Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old October 17, 2011   #1
semi_lucid
Tomatovillian™

Default Hot Pepper Eating Contest Causes Casualties

Sounds Painful. But they may help with weight control.

"the body burns more calories when the same food is eaten with chili peppers. "Eating chili is associated with increases in metabolic rate and thermogenesis,""

http://www.livescience.com/16556-spi...i-peppers.html

"they felt like chainsaws were ripping through their insides."
semi_lucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2011   #2
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Wusses...lol.....not something everybody can

When I pickled my latest batch of mixed hot peppers, I included some jolokia's....not sure if they were bhut's or not...bought them at the farmer's market. (First time I'd seen them there. The guy selling them there, was overly carefully warning me of them. I asked if they were the bhut's/ghosts and he said no....even he wouldn't eat the bhut's....and he said he's from India and grew up with serious hot peppers. LOL) The mix includes from jalapeno to pippin's, thai hots, long cayenne's habenero's, scotch bonnets and the jolokia's. I gave two jars away....with labels attached "eat with caution....especially the wrinkled yellow ones...lol". But the two recipients are veteran hot pepper/chili eaters...so I wasn't too worried.

I have to agree that eating them does rev up the metabolism. I have been adding allot of dried peppers, or flakes or seeds from various hot peppers in my food for the past year...and charting the weight. Besides the surgery for the removal of the 12kg+ growth, the subsequent post surgery swelling and the actual weight loss since....I'm now down over 52 lbs since my presurgery weight (pre-May 3rd 2010). And I have to admit I haven't really been cutting back much on the types of foods I've been eating. Perhaps a bit of the quantity....but have a feeling the chili's and the dog walking have been the main contributors.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote