Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 6, 2016   #1
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Default El Nino

I was just reading that El Nino is expected to continue and cause higher than normal temps in the Northeast through May. Is anyone else thinking about starting seed earlier than normal to take advantage of it if the weather is favorable for earlier than normal plant out? I usually start a little early for my area anyway, around March 15-18th, hoping to start planting out early but it doesn't usually work out, and I just have a little bit larger plants that go out late May anyway. We have a history of going from too cold to keep outside to too hot without enough time to harden off plants as gradually as recommended. I wonder if that will be even more of a problem this year. I just wondered if everyone is planning to continue as usual or start their seeds earlier than normal.

https://weather.com/forecast/nationa...orecast-update
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2016   #2
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

"Therefore, even in areas where above-average temperatures are depicted there will likely be periods of colder than average temperatures at times during the spring..."
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2016   #3
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

I'm in Wisconsin but I'm going to plant my Brandywines, German Johnson, and Stump of the World out six weeks early (so between april 15 and 30th depending on the long range forecast) with the protection of Wall O Waters and a cold frame (and a frost blanket if needed).

All my other tomatoes I'm planning on putting out two weeks earlier than is traditional. So the week of May 15th instead of Memorial day weekend. I will be protecting them as well though, just in case. I have backup plantings planned too if my early set out plants fail. I planned this before seeing the forecast for the warmer weather this spring.

I say go for it. Push your season limits. Start some early but plan on protecting them. Like you said, the worst that happens is you have to plant out some bigger transplants.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2016   #4
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Since you asked for opinions, my opinion is, no I would start as normal. El Nino impacts different parts of the country differently, it sounds like you're in a region where temperatures will be above normal. But the thing to realize the above normal is on the monthly or seasonal scale--there is plenty of opportunity to have below normal periods within a month or season that is above normal on the whole.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2016   #5
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I did see the warning about the low temps. I always watch the forecast for a couple weeks out before I plant. If it looks like we are going to have a really cold snap I can just wait and plant out a little larger. I don't mind protecting for for a couple of nights, I just don't want to be adding and removing protection a lot. My biggest reason for not trying to get them out earlier is that the ground really isn't warm enough and I don't get the jump on the season I hope, they just sit there and don't do much until it warms up. I am hoping the higher average temp means the soil will warm up a little earlier. Oh well, I'll just wait and see. I have wall of waters, but they are difficult for me to fill with water and take off without damaging the plants. I may have let the plants get too large before removing them when I used them. Its been a while. Maybe I will try again and just have a few plants in reserve in case it doesn't work out. I had given up on trying to get early tomatoes and just plant out when the weather is right for the last 5 years or more. I also bought a couple of new plastic protectors that I didn't have a chance to try last year. Now that I start my own seeds I don't have to worry about running around trying to replace my favorite varieties if things go wrong. So I can play a little. I will just keep a few extra in reserve.

How much earlier do you think I can plant out with these? They are the ones I bought last year and haven't used yet. Don't think they will warm the soil, though. They have pretty good reviews by the stars, although I haven't read them yet. Last year they were new and didn't have any reviews. Maybe I will pick up 3 more, since you save almost 30% in groups of 3.

http://www.gardeners.com/buy/pop-up-...9.html#start=1
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2016   #6
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Here is a tip page I adapted from something Organic Gardener wrote back when they were still the small mag. My neighbor would do this with the concrete wire cages supported by a T post or 2. Here would plant them at least 2 weeks early for our area and leave the plastic on til the middle to end of June unless we got a really hot spell. By the time he took the plastic off the plants would be growing out the top of the cage (4 ft). He would have ripe tomatoes 3-4 weeks before I did because I usually didn't have the time to do this. http://knapps-fresh-vegies.netfirms.com/tips.html

If I have some plants ready, I will try something early this year.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2016   #7
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Yep! It might be a warmer than normal spring for many.

Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2016   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I guess it's going to get cold around here in Texas, I only have 76 tomato plants to ... nah live and let die.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2016   #9
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
Here is a tip page I adapted from something Organic Gardener wrote back when they were still the small mag. My neighbor would do this with the concrete wire cages supported by a T post or 2. Here would plant them at least 2 weeks early for our area and leave the plastic on til the middle to end of June unless we got a really hot spell. By the time he took the plastic off the plants would be growing out the top of the cage (4 ft). He would have ripe tomatoes 3-4 weeks before I did because I usually didn't have the time to do this. http://knapps-fresh-vegies.netfirms.com/tips.html

If I have some plants ready, I will try something early this year.

Carol
This is how I have planned on protecting my main crop of tomatoes
Old March 7, 2016   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I guess it's going to get cold around here in Texas, I only have 76 tomato plants to ... nah live and let die.

That is colder than normal that doesn't mean much or even close to plant killing weather.
It is a good thing for us.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2016   #11
henry
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
That is colder than normal that doesn't mean much or even close to plant killing weather.
It is a good thing for us.

Worth
Would a cool spring extend your growing season in southern TX ?
Old March 7, 2016   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry View Post
Would a cool spring extend your growing season in southern TX ?
Very much so.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2016   #13
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

I suspect i will plant a lot of things early this year. I had already noticed it has been warmer than usual. Didn't occur to me that it was el nino, but that makes sense.
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #14
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Last week it was so warm and dry my garden was actually workable! Now that's just weird for here in March!
(Of course this week it's been 30-40s and rainy...so more normal...and this is the week that naturally I have four days off I can tend to the garden. )