Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 10, 2015   #1
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Default Independence Day tomato

Who has tried Independence Day? We have started a bunch of them but need information on it as to taste, yield, the same stuff Tatiana lists in her data base. It isn't there for me to check for myself.

I have found out that it is early 55 day, Orange-Red, Determinate, small, 2 1/2 inches around, and sweet.

What leaf type, so far they look like a more wispy regular leaf to me. Are they juicy or meaty? any help appreciated.

Zeroma
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #2
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

I remember reading somewhere that Independence Day was the same as Fourth of July.

Grew 4th last year and it was excellent flavor but I never made it into the house with them as they tasted too good and were the earliest tomato in the garden.

Ate them right off the vine. They tasted great when the sun warmed them they were almost like eating hot juicy tomato soup with out any milk.
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #3
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have read a lot about them. THEY ( 4th O July and Indep. Day) ARE NOT THE SAME.

Even I have read conflicting reviews of what is sold as "Fourth O July". Some reported as Indet and other(s) determinant.
Worst yet is their claimed erlyness.
I started some from seeds, planted out around April 20th. Now approaching June 20th ( almost 60 days) it has just few flowers. Now consider the seeds pack claimin it has a DTM of 49.

I already pulled and trashed couple plants and kept just one.
I have beef steaks that should beat the FoJ all the way to the bank.
YMMV
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

For those who would like to know if 4th of July and Independence Day are the same varieties, here's a thread about that from here at Tville;

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=31461

That should help, hopefully.

Carolyn
Old June 14, 2015   #5
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Have grown 4th of July in past and did not have ripe fruit until mid July; was not the first. I got my first ripe ones this year on June 10th which is a record early date for me. The variety is Big Beef.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #6
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

The Burpee 4th of July I grew from seed this year was early and has been producing for over six weeks. The size is a little smaller than what I expected 1-1/2 - 2" diameter. Taste is way above average and the yield is high. I can them and freeze them whole. The Independence Day from Chef Jeff was not as early (but it is in semi shade) but the fruit are 2-1/2" to 3" in diameter. For that size fruit I like Early girl and any number of the New Dwarfs.

MikeInCypress
Old June 14, 2015   #7
joseph
Tomatovillian™

In my garden, 4th of July fell into the do-not-grow-again category. It produced fruit closer to mid-august. Didn't even come close to living up to it's name.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #8
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Okay then, after reading all the linked threads, I'm going to have to reprint my labels. I didn't have the Livingston package when I asked this question.

I'm going to have to change that it is a potato leaf and determinate.
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
independence day