Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 19, 2008   #1
kdoble
Tomatovillian™

Default side dressing

I have determinates growing in SWC's that are ready for a side dressing of fertilizer, but I need some advice/ideas with 2 issues: 1- I have the red plastic "mulch" covering the soil and 2- When I peeked under the mulch I saw many shallow roots that would be easily disturbed if I try to mix into the top layer of soil . Any ideas on how I can apply? I'm not sure if adding a water soluable fertilizer to the reservoir is a good idea. I have a "well balanced slow release fertilizer that will not burn tomatoes". Would it be okay to sprinkle that in the outer perimeter of the soil and some in the holes of the "mulch" where the stems are growing?
kdoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2008   #2
jcmorse33
Tomatovillian™

If the red plastic mulch you are using is water impermiable then you should be able to use a fertilizer strip similar to what is normally done when using an Earthbox or some homemade knock off such as Ray's Earthtainers. If it is water permiable then you may not want to have such a high concentration of fertilizer due to runoff concerns when it rains.

If the later is the case I would go ahead and side dress lifting the plastic mulch to spring the fertilizer evenly, then putting it back in place and just repeat at the recommended side dressing intervals. As long as the fertilizer is covered with the plastic mulch moisture that is held under the mulch should slowly dissolve the fertilizer and wick it down into the container mix for the roots to absorb.
jcmorse33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2008   #3
creister
Tomatovillian™

Have you considered foliar feeding? That is a very easy alternative.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2008   #4
kdoble
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by creister View Post
Have you considered foliar feeding? That is a very easy alternative.
I am not familiar with foliar feeding...how do I do that?
kdoble is offline   Reply With Quote