Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old July 8, 2009   #1
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Default Pole beans stopped producing

My pole beans have stopped producing anything. They were going strong for a while. I thought it might have been due to the fact that the rainfall has slowed dramatically. So I started watering regularly, but so far they still aren't doing anything. They are supposed to bear all season, right? Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Old July 8, 2009   #2
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

what kind are you growing fert?

a lotta times beans will shut down in really warm weather.
also are there many beans on the vines going to seed? that will shut them down too.
with some of my beans, they produce a big flush of beans at first, then they taper off somewhat during the hot weather, and then produce a smaller flush toward the fall. they usually don't just stop completely for me unless its weather related or i'm leaving too many beans on the vine for seed.
are there any critters or disease, present? they could stress the plant, and shut down production.
if the vines look healthy, and are putting on new growth, you'll see more buds, i would think you should get some more beans.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2009   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I agree. My two guesses were pods left on the vine and heat. I think if you keep them watered, you will see more blooms. I would not give up quite yet.
Old July 9, 2009   #4
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

My guess is heat and lack of water, because I haven't left a lot of pods on the vines. I would wait until I had a dozen or so pods to pick, but none were completely full. Also two of the vines, (same variety), have yet to even start to bear anything. Don't know what is up with those two. The vines look healthy enough, and have very little insect damage. Maybe now that we've had cooler temps. for a bit, they will start back. I am also going to make sure they get sufficient water.
Old July 10, 2009   #5
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Mine are slowing down a little bit, too, now that the heat is really settling in. I think it'll be okay if I keep watering and the nights start to cool a little in a few weeks. I still think this is better than continually planting rows of bush beans all summer. My filed pea variety is bush because I want a bunch of them all at once, but my snap peas, butter beans and green beans are all pole varieties now. It saves a lot of space, too.
Old July 21, 2009   #6
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Well, you guys were right. I kept watering and after a week or so of cooler temps., new bean pods started popping up all over the place. I don't know if it was the heat or lack of water or some combination, but I pulled a bunch tonight. I'm glad to see they are still producing. Yes, I think it's better than planting bush beans over and over. Plus I think pole beans taste better.
Old July 24, 2009   #7
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Yep, still producing all right. Picked a bunch more today. I've noticed some are sending out new runners from the ground too. It's like they've gotten their second wind or something.
Old July 31, 2009   #8
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

So for pole beans that aren't currently producing in the heat, but are still sending out new vegetative growth like crazy, should I expect a decent second flush when it cools down? Or would it be better to rip them up now (the plants themselves still look good, but are huge!) and start fresh?
TIA
Susan
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2009   #9
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I would leave your current planting in because pole beans generally take longer to produce than bush varieties and starting over now be a long wait without any beans. If you have new growth, you will get flowers and beans if you keep them watered.
Old July 31, 2009   #10
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Shelleybean. I've been keeping them watered, so I guess that's why they are just taking over the garden. Although we have had a very nice cool week at the end of July here in Dallas, so maybe I'll have some here in a few weeks. Although next week we are suppossed to be back in the upper 90's to low 100's. Yuck!
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2009   #11
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Okay, now my pole beans have exploded! Good googley moogley, I'm up to my eyeballs in beans!

I can't complain of lack of production now that's for sure! My fingers hurt from stringing and snapping them. It's a good problem to have though.