Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old December 23, 2009   #1
Jake L.
Tomatovillian™

Default Leaf Mold

Hello. At my other house that we will be moving into, we have a 50 square feet of piled leaves about 10 feet high. Leaf mold is being made at the moment in the center and near the bottoms. Is it possible that I could add used coffee grounds to the leaves to make leaf mold faster, or would it just be ordinary compost rather than leaf mold?

Thanks,
Jake
Jake L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2009   #2
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I had an aunt who made beautiful leaf mold in NJ by raking her leaves to the edge of her dropoff and letting them decay for 3 years.

You could speed it up by turning it, watering each layer as you go. Or, if by some miracle the leaves are still dry, you could pulverize them to speed up decomposition.

Do you need leaf mold or a fungal-dominated compost for acid-loving perennials, shrubs, or trees? According to the book Teaming with Microbes, you will still get a fungal-dominated compost with 40-50 percent brown leaves or wood chips, 45 to 50 percent fresh grass clippings, and 5 to 10 percent alfalfa meal -- that's a lot of "greens"! You have enough leaves that you could experiment with adding coffee grounds to some of them. Any "greens" (including coffee grounds) will speed up composting.

I googled to find out the definition of leaf mold, and this article still calls it leaf mold if you add some greens to speed up the process.
http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/...leaf-mold.aspx
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2009   #3
ssi912
Tomatovillian™

take your lawn mower and mow the leaves with the bag attachment off mower.
I would personally put them in a container. i buy the waist high roughneck cans, with a lid from wally world, i think 8 dollars. Drill a bunch of 1.5 inch holes in bottom. Throw in a few shovel fulls of garden soil and add other organic material. you could try to throw garden soil in the leaf pile, full of micro organisms. the barrel approach works for me, just add a bunch of leaves to the barrel every so often. the leaves will be poofy at first, but will break down considerably quite fast. i think the coffe grounds would work there way through the pile and end up in the dirt under the leaf pile.
ssi912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2009   #4
rhynes_boomer
Tomatovillian™

Hi ssi912,

Would this also keep soil from washing away? I have alot of leaves every year and I always use to protect flowers and strawberries along with straw, but, I have been doing away with it after the frost?

Kat
rhynes_boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2009   #5
ssi912
Tomatovillian™

Im not sure I understand the question. Would coffee grounds keep the soil from eroding? No. Let me know.
Old December 30, 2009   #6
rhynes_boomer
Tomatovillian™

Hi ssi912,

I was talking about the chopped up leaves & straw, would that keep my soil from washing away. I am having trouble with my soil washing out, here in Oklahoma, when it rains sometimes it's just a little then sometimes it's a gully washer?

I didn't used to have this problem, but, a little Mall was built behind where I live and they got just as close as they could to my lot and right up against my fencing where the garden is and now my garden has went down quite a bit in the last 2-3 years.

I have used metal sheets along the fence area to try and keep it from running out from underneath. It has slowed down , but, not stopped it?

Kat
Old December 30, 2009   #7
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

you could try undersowing everything you grow with a low-growing legume, so that you have no bare soil to wash away. Elliot Coleman goes into that in some depth in his book The New Organic Grower. If your garden is not on a huge scale you would not need any machinery to do it, just the right seeds to use.

Tom
darwinslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2009   #8
ssi912
Tomatovillian™

it seems like the mall builders changed the grade of the ground behind you. when it rains, does it drain towards the mall? if it does, you will have to plant some bushes/shrubs, maybe, along the fence line. if you had enough sun you could use blackberries or something along that nature. adding the materials you listed above that you usually mulch with would not help. they would just was away once they were broke down to smaller aggergate. i would not throw away winter mulch. i would not incorporate into that years garden though. i would set those materials to the side and them incorporate into soil at the end of the growing season. straw and leaves are some of the best and inexspensive soil conditioner. you could get some wood chips and add at the same time as well. call some local tree trimming companies and see if they will give you a load of wood chips for free. it saves them from having to pay to dump them. never pay for tree trimming co.'s wood chips no matter what they say. it is helping the company to dump them for free at a residence than pay at private dump. i know, i own a tree company. i could give more ideas about erosion if you could explain the pronlem in detail.
Old December 31, 2009   #9
rhynes_boomer
Tomatovillian™

Hi ssi912,

Yes, it goes toward the mall. Wood chips sounds doable. I will check into it. Also, I have just started noticing more in the last couple of years. Where the fence posts are is where I seem to be loosing my soil.

If I can get the wood chips I can have them put on the back side of my fence and inside where my garden is. I already have metal sheets holding back alot of it. My main problem is where the post are.

I had even thought about a small concrete block border just along the fence line? Maybe that and the woodchips would fix my problem.

I want to add more soil and manure to my garden for this year, but, I want to get the problem fixed first.

Thanks for the advice!

Kat