Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old July 31, 2009   #16
Nightshade
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Michael.

What about Kootenai? I think you were growing it last year....how did you like it?

I have sampled some of these that you listed. I grew these three last winter, and would only do glacier again. However, I thought iit tasted very much like Kimberly, so I wouldn't grow both of them in the same season.

siberian
silvery fir tree
glacier?

The pearly pink orange (cherry) This definitely sounds like a must-try, based on the thread about it below.

khurma (from Andrey) Ii believe this is also Russian Persimmon, and I do have one setting fruit now. I had expected be a bigger plant, and thought this one was stunted by the hard life of outdoor summer tomatoes here. I'm relieved to know it's suppoed to be short and bushy.

balkonzauber. If this one is also called balcony wonder, I have seeds for it, but am on the fence about planting it for the next round. I haven't heard anyone raving about either its taste or its productivity.

tumbler I have both pink and red started now, and i'm very excited about them. "The Google" yields lots of reports from growers who really liked it. One consistent feature that people spoke of was its heavy yield, and many mentioned that they grew it year after year, until Burpee stopped selling the seeds. Too bad for them they didn't know that Carol Knapp and Tatiana have saved the strain.

The other one of Tatiana's that I am very excited about is the Extreme Dwarf Bush that I mentioned in the container growing thread entitled "what grows well in one or two gallon pots?" In plant size, fruit size, productivity, and dtm,these sound a lot like ny experience with Sophie's Choice. An old 1958 Glecker's Catalog says it tastes like Rutgers. I don't know if I've ever tasted Rutgers, but it seems to be a universally favored determinate, so I have great hope sof this one.

I was thinking about Window Box Roma...I always put it on my indoor order wish lists and then take it off. Have you tried it? If it it a sprawler, like the Huskies, I'll keep it off.

And. ooh boy these are all new varieties to research, evaluate, and hunt down. I love this part of tomato growing. I feel so rich when my seed box has lots of packets to choose from!

pelican cherry
mano
adam 1
puck

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge.

Jan
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2010   #17
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

These are Sophie's growing in my greenhouse in late winter. There was about a foot of snow outside when I took this picture. The plants have set now and are quite a bit larger.
My problem is low light levels, and big swings between daytime and nighttime temperatures in my 9X30 greenhouse. I have about 500 gallons of water for heat storage and pull a reflective cover over the greenhouse at night to hold in the warmth. I'm also using foil insulation during the day to bounce light back onto the plants. It's working, but it's also a bit crazy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greenhouse plants.JPG (478.9 KB, 53 views)
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2010   #18
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

Sophie is looking good, you are doing something right. Bring on the ripe tomatoes.

Neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2010   #19
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Yes, they're pretty happy to be in where it's warm. And the bottoms of those buckets have been cut out so they are rooting down into the raised bed.
I got lucky last summer when a chance mutation gave the fruit of one plant a beautiful speckled skin. That's what you see growing here . Hopefully, the strain will breed true, because it was the sweetest salad tomato I took to market last year.
I'm ready for spring to come and stay for a bit!
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote