Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old June 27, 2006   #16
BrokenAppleTree
CHOPTAG™

Hi All,
Here is a current shot of the tomato portion of the garden:

Here's Stick:

- Brian
Old June 28, 2006   #17
valereee
Tomatovillian™

I've got one bed doing great and one bed doing TERRIBLE. I think it's probably TSWV in the bad bed, but it contains two plants I'd especially like to get seeds from so I didn't rip them out when they started showing signs, and of course now the entire bed is awful. Both plants have set fruit, though, so maybe I'll get some seeds. Thankfully, that bed is about as far away from the healthy bed as it can be -- 200 yards or so -- so with any luck the healthy bed will stay healthy.

Val
Old June 28, 2006   #18
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Brian

That’s a great shot of great looking tomatoes. Seems the greenhouse has served you well. Those plants are about twice as tall as mine. What kind of fruit set do you have?

Be sure to bring a Stick to the taste fest this year. After all the hype I’m real interested in tasting one.
Old June 28, 2006   #19
BrokenAppleTree
CHOPTAG™

Hi Jerry,
I think every plant has at least pea sized fruit on it. Most have a minimum of 5 - 8 good sized green toms so far.
Interesting to note that the F3 version of your toms are going crazy, just like last year - very strong bushy indeterminate growth and lots of green toms. In the picture they are the 4 plants on the far right hand side behind the beans (kinda hard to see as they are the furthest away). I'm curious what the fruit will look like this year.
I'll be sure to bring Stick Toms if there are any at that time. If not, I'll be sure to bring seeds I've saved.
Best Regards,
Brian
Old June 28, 2006   #20
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Brian,

I don’t remember if your F2 was the same as the salad size pink fruit that was my F1. Someone brought, to the taste fest, a yellow cherry that looked a lot like Dr. Carolyn but a little bigger and a little sweeter. I also remember a small yellow beefsteak. I wrote the following about it “Sweet, tender, meaty, large seed locules, tangerine size fruit. Tough skin, 2 3/4 - 3 1/4 oz.”

Regardless of what you started with it will be interesting to see what you get.

I have two F3’s Of my own going. I used seed saved from an F2 with the salad size, thin skin, good taste I’m hoping to retain. They are both rampant indeterminates. So far neither have set fruit but have plenty of blossoms.
Old June 28, 2006   #21
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Brian,

Great looking photos you've got there!

Jerry, you mean you didn't get a taste of stick at
TP last year?

Here's a picture:

I'm not growing it this year, but my dad has it in his garden,
so we may have it again for you to try this year.

But looking at Brian's photos, I suspect he will have plenty to share at CHOPTAG 06.

Lee
Old June 28, 2006   #22
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Jerry, I'm watering the garden today... but not the tomato plants. They can go lots longer than the lettuces and onions without a good soak. I watered about 2 weeks ago, and just like Earl, it rained 1.25" the next day. That's just the way it is.

Dang, the weeds sure are growing fast!

I ate my first SFT this morning. I like it, Sam-I-Am! I DO!

Lisa
Old June 30, 2006   #23
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Brian, your plants are looking great! I've been eating a lot of Kimberlys for a while now, starting to get a few SFTs and Preleskas from my early types.

Most main season plants have fruit, some of the larger fruit [2 inchers] are on Anaras Noir, Picardy, Novikov's Giant and Noir de Crimee which has several nice fruit.

So far this is one of the better years for my plants, and the stinking thistle too. I can't get rid of the stuff. My cherry types are all turning into monsters, starting to top out the 5 foot cages, with the exception of Green Grape.

Hoping for a bountiful season everyone!
Old July 2, 2006   #24
Dave_Z6
CHOPTAG™

Gregori's Altai 14.9 oz Earl '04 (left)
Moskvich 11.2 oz Sandhill'06 (right )
Both planted to mini hoophouse/raised bed 4/19
They appear to be doubles, I think
Great seed Earl. Thanks
Dave
Old July 2, 2006   #25
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Great looking fruit Dave, you ol' rascle, now you've got me wishing I'd planted a GA or two myself! :-)
Old July 10, 2006   #26
matermama
Tomatovillian™

Default good going

hello All
Well mine are doing ok , the sioux is getting big, Chocalate cherokee died, i think it was a rabbit. Some of the ones from Neil are doing really well, Jess 's has taken off, lots of blossoms and small greenies , i just dont know if i will ever see a red one, my three yr old keeps picking them
Kellogs is doing fine a bit on the scronny side but i had to move it to another area it was getting to bogged in iwth ML's.
Hope everyone is doing well .
sue