Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 1, 2011   #1
Amy J
Tomatovillian™

Default Is this early blight?

I need help. Is this early blight? I was trying to do some research and that's what I think it is. What do I do about it? I got daconil this morning. Do I spray the whole plant? And do I take off all the affected leaves?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-06-01 13.42.01.jpg (407.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-06-01 13.42.09.jpg (272.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-06-01 13.42.41.jpg (260.3 KB, 56 views)
Amy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2011   #2
dono117
Tomatovillian™

Daconil will work very well. Spray entire plant. I spray weekly here in FL to prevent blight from getting a headstart
dono117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2011   #3
Amy J
Tomatovillian™

what is the difference between early blight and septoria??
Amy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2011   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy J View Post
what is the difference between early blight and septoria??

Amy, I can't see the characteristic concentric circles in the spots that would make it be Early Blight but it doesn't matter that much for the following reason.

The four main foliage diseases of tomatoes are the following:

Early Blight ( A.solani), fungal

Septora Leaf Spot, fungal

Bacterial Speck
Bacterial Spot

What you show is one of the fungal ones and since they're treated the same it really doesn't matter that much.

Daconil is great at helping to prevent fungal foliage diseases, but not so good at curing them, so you have to remove all affectedleaves andkeep on a rigorous spray schedule, which is discussed on the Daconil lable. And if you got the concentrate it should have about 26% active ingredient.

Daconilmolecules work by attaching to the specific atttacment sites on the upperleaf surface and blocking the attachement of those two fungal pathogens.

So spraying the underside of the leaves is not necessary.

You asked how those two diseases differed. They are similar in terms of both being fungal but the size and color and shape of the spots on the leaves are different, as are the presence of yellow halos around the lesions.

At the top of this Forum is a link to a Problem Solver and you might look at the Cornell one which I like b/c it IDs diseases or physiological problems according to plant parts.

Take a look at the pictures of both diseases and see if you can tell the difference. I did mention the concentric circles found as part of the spots with Early Blight.