Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 9, 2011   #1
arivaraci
Tomatovillian™

Default 1st timer with a problem

Help! I keep eating the tomatoes before they are ripe. Is there some kind of therapy for impatient gardeners? An anti-impatient pill I can take? Seriously, I have eaten 3 tomatoes different days this week, because I am sure that they are almost ripe.

I don't know if I am cut out for this. But my plants sure are pretty. Lots and lots of tomatoes. I partially blame the ready to harvest/photo posts. DTM also stands for definite-torture-method for 1st time gardeners.
arivaraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2011   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Don't worry - you will, at some point, have a shelf full of nearly overripe tomatoes wondering what to do with them (if all goes well!). I have about 60 right now that are edible ripe that need seed saving, photographing, taste testing - they will all end up in a roasted tomato sauce later today that will top our already overwhelming eggplant crop!
Old July 9, 2011   #3
HollerinRat
Tomatovillian™

I'm with ya! lol I finally had three ripe sun sugars yesterday. Ate them all. I'm afraid none of mine will ever make it to the house.
HollerinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Close your eyes and feel the bottom and middle of the tomato with your thumb. If it yields to gentle pressure, it's ripe. A blind man can pick a ripe tomato.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote