Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 11, 2011   #1
hewitt
Tomatovillian™

Default Cracked Tomatoes

I live in Raleigh, NC, and planted many different varieties of hreirloom tomatoes. I have an issue with hairline cracks, in the middle of the tomatoes. I do have the standard cracking by the stem which is common, but why do the tomatoes have small cracks in the center or the tomatoes? It seems as if they are bursting open, and then create this cracking???

We have had very little rain here, very dry and in the 90's daily, I do water every 3 days or so, only thing I can think of is the water, however I am new at this and seeking any ideas you have, Thanks.....
hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Irregular or widely varying amounts of rain/watering are the primary cause you're looking for. The tomato will simply take on more water than the skin can hold. The skin cannot expand as fast as the insides.

It's usually present after a long/hot dry spell followed by rain or heavy watering.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011   #3
arivaraci
Tomatovillian™

Hi there! I'm in Raleigh as well, and after a long dry spell my garden got drenched 4 out of the last 7 days. We have had widely scattered but drenching showers this last week. Did you guys see any of that?
arivaraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011   #4
hewitt
Tomatovillian™

No Rain Yet for weeks, It has been in the area, and all around Raleigh, but not near me, I am off 401 in north Raleigh
hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011   #5
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

One question I have along these lines is this: My cherry and grape tomatoes never crack in the beginning of the season. In August and September they almost all crack unless I pick them, not yet ripe. why?
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote