Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 10, 2011   #1
gtnate
Tomatovillian™

Default Cherries growing, but big tomatoes are not

In April I was home at my parents place in East Texas for 4 days while I was in between an internship and heading back to school in Seattle. I helped them build a raised bed in their backyard. We filled the bed with about 5 bags of composted manure and humus, and about 12 bags of topsoil (all from Wal-Mart). I also added about a cup of dolomite lime to the bed.

We purchased four tomato plants from Wal-Mart as well. Two were cherry types, and the company that produced them was called Bonnie Plants. The other two were a better boy tomato and a celebrity. These last two were produced from a different company.

Anyway, almost three months later now, and my parents have told me that they are getting plenty of cherries, but that the celebrity and better boy haven't done much. I don't think that they have had a single tomato from those two plants. I know that my parents have fertilized any (my Dad said that he used fish emulsion once), but I thought that the compost would have been enough for the plants to at least do something.

Anyone have any idea what might have gone wrong? I'm thinking any of the following:

1) Soil pH could still be wrong
2) Soil may be a little too dense with the Wal-Mart topsoil
3) We didn't harden off the plants
4) Could be that the plants from the second company were duds
5) May need more fertilizer.

Anyway, I was thinking of taking another trip down to East Texas next spring to help out my folks again, and wanted to know if anyone has any advice on what I should do to get them some real tomatoes next year.
gtnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2011   #2
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

What do you mean by "hardening off plants" and why is this important?

Elliot
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2011   #3
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

I bet you planted the plants too late. The blossoms don't set when its hot and it has been extra hot this year in all of Texas.

MikeInCypress
Old July 12, 2011   #4
dice
Tomatovillian™

See Feldon's post in this thread for timing of planting around Houston:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=19015

(Most of "east Texas" should be pretty close to that. People down there
plant out early and then have to be alert to late frosts for the first few
weeks after planting. The idea is to get a crop in before it gets too hot
for fruit to set.)
Old July 13, 2011   #5
luke
Tomatovillian™

I am located to the east of you, but I spent some time in Houston this summer. I'd wager to bet that they are having the same problem as me. I planted a bit late, and endured a period of 100 degree plus days (Houston did the same, and my brother in law told me Midland hit 112 degrees).

My tomato plants have not set fruit, and I have never had this run of bad luck with my garden. I'll stagger my plants next year, and just be prepared for any frost that comes early.

Tell them to root some of the laterals off of their plants for fall tomatoes. It it is simpler than you would think.
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011   #6
Suze
Tomatovillian™

As others have indicated, April is too late to plant out tomatoes in Texas for good results.

Also, smaller fruited or cherry types will generally tend to set much better in heat than larger fruited varieties, which is why your parents are seeing decent set from those but not the other varieties.

Although I doubt this is the primary problem (it's the heat + too late planting) I will mention for future reference that bagged topsoil from box stores generally isn't a good amendment. This is very much a case of you get what you pay for.

Topsoil is a rather general term, and as far as I know there are no specific regulations or standards in place for what one can package up and sell as topsoil. What I've generally found with bagged topsoil from box stores is that it's usually too heavy and also contains a bunch of "mystery" dirt and rocks.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote