Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 28, 2011   #1
cleo88
Tomatovillian™

Default First tomato - Moravsky Div - May 28!!!

Can't believe the first tomato emerged before Memorial Day in Massachusetts.

Low temps have been mostly above 55 for weeks, so I guess that helped. Plus me flicking the heck out of the flowers every day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moravsky_div_first_tomato_2011.jpg (152.2 KB, 85 views)
cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2011   #2
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations! Is it in a pot or in the garden? When did you start seed, and when did you plant out? Quite a thrill to see that first greenie!

I'm just hoping to get my tomatoes planted out this weekend. Rains keep turning soil into mud, but maybe by this afternoon I'll give it a try. I probably should have already planted the pot tomatoes, but I didn't want to haul those heavy pots in and out of the garage every night either.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2011   #3
cleo88
Tomatovillian™

My Moravsky Div is in the garden, seeds germinated March 23, planted out May 22.

For this and half my other plants, I used Miracle Gro seed starting mix and then MG potting mix, and 8 1/2 weeks was way too long - those plants grew like crazy and would have been ready to plant out at 6 weeks. The other half I used Pro-Mix and those plants were shrimps and yellowish when I planted them out, even though I gave them some weak fertilizer once or twice. So next year, MG products 6 or 7 weeks out.
Old July 4, 2011   #4
cleo88
Tomatovillian™

I'm picking this baby today in honor of July 4.
If this tastes at all decent, I'm growing Moravsky Div next year too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moravsky_ripe_1.jpg (308.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg moravsky_ripe_2.jpg (215.2 KB, 68 views)
Old July 4, 2011   #5
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Here's mine, from different angles. Also first of the season (not quite ripe yet). The ripest one is 5 cm in diameter.

Last edited by zipcode; July 4, 2011 at 03:07 PM.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2011   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

When Andrey first sent me the seeds for Moravsky Div what I saw were rather squarish fruits, not round, not wee beefsteaks, so I don't know.

I just looked in the 2011 SSE Yearbook where Andrey described the fruits as irregular globes and I descibed then as kinda squarish as did two others who got the seeds from me, the same seeds that I offered here.

It looks like my link to tania's page for this variety didn't work and a T-storm approaches and all I wanted to say was that I was the one who sent seeds to 3/4 commercial places she lists, Gleckler, Victory and Casey and Sandhill should be there as well.

Zipcode and Cleo was your seed source me, or otherwise? Just curious. I can speak for what I saw and some others who got seeds from me but can't speak directly to those places where I sent seed b'c they produced their own. And for sure I can't speak to any traded seeds.

Whatever, I LOVE this variety. A real early, see Glenn Drowns comment in his catalog about how early, and one with great taste IMO.
Old July 4, 2011   #7
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

As I aid in the other thread about ind/det, M. Hahm is my source. It reminds me of stupice in all respects until now. Only plant seems bigger and more serious looking (different conditions/country now however). Oh, and it's definitely ind, now it has the 7th flower cluster (I prune).
Upper fruit are a bit more irregular, but I wouldn't call them square.

Old July 4, 2011   #8
cleo88
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,
I can't find a record of my seed aquisition, I thought I might have ordered it from Tatiana but now I see that she isn't listing herself as a vendor for this variety on the tomatobase. So I must have procured it from a kind Tomatovillian, and you'd think I would have record of the PM but somehow I don't...

My tomato and the pics also posted in this thread look a lot like the pic on the tomatobase - but are you saying that the seeds that you disseminated came from very different looking fruit?
Old July 4, 2011   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
As I aid in the other thread about ind/det, M. Hahm is my source. It reminds me of stupice in all respects until now. Only plant seems bigger and more serious looking (different conditions/country now however). Oh, and it's definitely ind, now it has the 7th flower cluster (I prune).
Upper fruit are a bit more irregular, but I wouldn't call them square.

My word squarish means kind of square but not really square if that makes sense. And yes, I do remember now you said you got your seeds from Manfred, who probably got them from Reinhard Kraft to whom I probably sent the seeds in the first place.
Old July 4, 2011   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo88 View Post
Carolyn,
I can't find a record of my seed aquisition, I thought I might have ordered it from Tatiana but now I see that she isn't listing herself as a vendor for this variety on the tomatobase. So I must have procured it from a kind Tomatovillian, and you'd think I would have record of the PM but somehow I don't...

My tomato and the pics also posted in this thread look a lot like the pic on the tomatobase - but are you saying that the seeds that you disseminated came from very different looking fruit?
Cleo, it doesn't matter where your seeds were from, really, I was just curious. And no, I didn't save seed from MD for different shapes, b'c there were none, all were the same.

You may be thinking of the black cherry called Kazachka where I initially offered seeds here for the cherry shape and the mini-beef shape. But then I found out that any given seed could give rise to either shape. And when I emed with Andrey, the source of my seeds, he was finding out the same as I was since he grew Kazachaka for the first time at the same time I was doing so.

Does that help?
Old July 4, 2011   #11
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Here's what mine look like...

Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2011   #12
cleo88
Tomatovillian™

And I have to say, it was absolutely yummy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moravsky_sliced.jpg (181.4 KB, 33 views)
Old July 8, 2011   #13
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Mine was extremely tart. Fair taste, not mild, not strong. Flavour wasn't exactly great.
First stupice of last year was much better, but I hope things will improve.
Old July 13, 2011   #14
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

I just got back from vacation since 7/1 and I just picked my first Moravsky Div which was dead ripe. It looks like the top one in Sherry's picture. It looks like it beat my first Bloody Butcher by 2-3 dayswhich I also picked. I was hoping the first Red Siberian would be turning too but they are still green but very large compared to MD.