Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 20, 2011   #16
farmall
Tomatovillian™

Yes These are one of the hardest tomatoes to ferment and germinate. 3-4 weeks I had on germinating the ones I am growing this year. That made me dumb founded because last I had the most thckest volenteer patch of these in my sweet corn. So this year I have a few thicks up my sleeve I will try saving seed. I will post back here and let everyone know the method if it works. The way i see it is that there is not enough juice in these to ferment them properly so we need to strain juice from somthing else. Again I will let everyone know how it worksAdam
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2011   #17
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Well, I never got even a basic acknowledgement from the organization mentioned above in regards to the off-type Mexico Midget.

I guess I was a complete idiot to assume that they really care about preservation and such, but apparently they don't even care about the most fundamental of preservation concerns and that's ensuring that varieties are correct and true to type.

Rest assured....that organization won't see another penny from this idiot!!!!

I'll revisit the issue when I finally get seed for the real Mexico Midget.....I'll grow both side by side and post the results!

And so it goes.......

~Dig
DiggingDogFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2011   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingDogFarm View Post
Well, I never got even a basic acknowledgement from the organization mentioned above in regards to the off-type Mexico Midget.

I guess I was a complete idiot to assume that they really care about preservation and such, but apparently they don't even care about the most fundamental of preservation concerns and that's ensuring that varieties are correct and true to type.

Rest assured....that organization won't see another penny from this idiot!!!!

I'll revisit the issue when I finally get seed for the real Mexico Midget.....I'll grow both side by side and post the results!

And so it goes.......

~Dig
Can you remember to whom you sent the e-mail or was it a generic e-mail link?

Not that I'm defending SSE, I'm not, but it does make a difference as to who received your e-mail and what they did with it in order to inform the correct person about the wrong seeds who could then get back to you.
Old July 2, 2011   #19
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Can you remember to whom you sent the e-mail or was it a generic e-mail link?

Not that I'm defending SSE, I'm not, but it does make a difference as to who received your e-mail and what they did with it in order to inform the correct person about the wrong seeds who could then get back to you.

There are two people on the contact list with 'customer service' under their name.
I sent it to the first one the list, Kathy.

~Dig
Old July 2, 2011   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There are two people on the contact list with 'customer service' under their name.
I sent it to the first one the list, Kathy.

~Dig
Looking at my Yearbook Kathy is Manager of Inventory. I have talked to her when she answers the phone when I need to be transferred but I don't knew her at all and don't know what her duties are as regards Manager of Inventory.

I know it's been about two weeks since you e-mailed her but I have to confess that sometimes I don't answer back when I should when it's not an ASAP situation and the MM one is not b'c there's no time to do new growouts this summer, but if they want to keep it they have to include it, new source, for next years growouts or subcontracts.

If you don't hear back by next Thursday ( the day my brother returns to NC after a visit here) post in your thread and I'll suggest another avenue of contact.
Old July 2, 2011   #21
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
If you don't hear back by next Thursday ( the day my brother returns to NC after a visit here) post in your thread and I'll suggest another avenue of contact.
Will do!!

Thanks!

~Dig
Old July 12, 2011   #22
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I am going to bring a sample of authentic Mexico Midget (seeds, as well as a few trusses of fruit) to the SSE convention this week - so they will have the real deal.
Old July 12, 2011   #23
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
I am going to bring a sample of authentic Mexico Midget (seeds, as well as a few trusses of fruit) to the SSE convention this week - so they will have the real deal.
Thanks!!!

That's great!!

And no, I never did get a response from them.

~Dig
Old July 12, 2011   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks!!!

That's great!!

And no, I never did get a response from them.

~Dig
Dig, I was contacted by someone else at SSE for information, not about MM, and asked that person to tell Kathy it would be good if she gave a response to your e-mail.

What I hadn't realized is that this weekend is the SSE Convention and everyone out there is very overworked getting ready for that. Craig and I have been e-mailing back and forth about a lot and when he said he'd be taking the seeds out there I e-mailed Joanne at SSE and told her that and told her to tell Kathy that she didn't have to get back to you if she didn't have time, b'c the Mexico Midget situation seems to be under control at this point.
Old July 12, 2011   #25
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Dig, I was contacted by someone else at SSE for information, not about MM, and asked that person to tell Kathy it would be good if she gave a response to your e-mail.

What I hadn't realized is that this weekend is the SSE Convention and everyone out there is very overworked getting ready for that. Craig and I have been e-mailing back and forth about a lot and when he said he'd be taking the seeds out there I e-mailed Joanne at SSE and told her that and told her to tell Kathy that she didn't have to get back to you if she didn't have time, b'c the Mexico Midget situation seems to be under control at this point.
Thanks Carolyn!

~Dig
Old July 15, 2011   #26
macbettz
Tomatovillian™

What is the point of having a tomato plant produce blueberry sized fruits?
macbettz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2011   #27
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbettz View Post
What is the point of having a tomato plant produce blueberry sized fruits?
I don't know quite how to answer that but will try by saying what's the point in having any variety that produces fruits of any size and shape.

Have you ever grown any of the wee fruited ones such as Mexico Midget or Matt's Wild Cherry or Sara's Galapagos or any generic red or yellow currant variety?

Currant tomatoes are a different species of tomato from our regular garden tomatoes which are Solanum lycopersicon whereas currant tomatoes, so named b'c they're about the size of currants, read also blueberries, are Solanum pimpinellifolium, and altogether there are about 15 known tomato species of which only a few of those species have edible fruits.

Speaking for myself, there can be a huge burst of flavor from those wee ones, much better than many other much larger ones that I've grown, and I love them. Sara's Galapagos is one of my favoites and it's not a true currant but a genetically stable interspecies cross from the Galapagos islands.

Of the wee ones I've grown most of them have had wonderful taste, many are very tolerant of foliage diseases, yields are high but it can tedious harvesting them so most of us just take off a whole truss at a time.

Home cooks and chefs love to use them as garnish on salads, etc., and they're great for snacking.

You asked what the point is in growing the tiny small fruited ones and I've shared with you my perspective and perhaps others will share theirs as well.

I think that the number of different tomato species and the incredible number of named and unnamed varieties are one of the best examples of what's called biological diversity and I'm all for that. I love to grow them and eat them, all sizes, all colors, all shapes, all kinds of leaf forms, plant habits , early ones,late ones, striped ones, and on and on. And it's a healthy obsession as well.
Old July 15, 2011   #28
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Speaking for myself, there can be a huge burst of flavor from those wee ones, much better than many other much larger ones that I've grown, and I love them.
Same feeling here, it's that little 'pop' of flavor, and in some cases texture, whether eaten out-of-hand or in a salad or whatever that makes them very appealing to me.

Marty
Old July 15, 2011   #29
SleestaksRule
Tomatovillian™

I grew some Mexico Midgets indoors in hydroponics over last winter. They got very big and hit the ceiling. Here's a video of them below. None of the fruits were bigger than a penny. Hopefully these are the real deal. I cloned this plant and have them growing in my gardens.

Skip to 2:40 in the video to see them.

Last edited by SleestaksRule; July 15, 2011 at 01:48 PM.
SleestaksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2011   #30
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

LOL! Funny start of the video!!!

Marty