Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 13, 2006   #1
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Default Ingegnoli Gigante Liscio

I found "Ingegnoli Gigante Liscio" on the Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds site, and ordered some.

I think the Italian seed firm, Fratelli Ingegnoli, first developed it in 1920.

". . . ottenuta nel lontano 1920 da un incrocio tra le varietà americane PONDEROSA e ST. LOUIS; sottoposta ad un continuo miglioramento genetico . . ."

Which I guess indicates that they crossed Ponderosa and St. Louis (I've never heard of "St. Louis") and stabilized it.

Link here: http://www.ingegnoli.it/index.asp and go to "Sementi da Orto" for "other seeds" and then "Pomidori" for tomatoes.

Has anybody here tried it? Comments?

Thanks in advance.

GTG
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2006   #2
Trudi
Tomatovillian™

I grew Gigante Liscio last year, the seeds were sent to me from GrowItalian, as part of a trio for trialing. I'm assuming that what Bill sent is the same variety you're describing. It was a very tasty tomato, made fist sized toms (if I recall correctly). In my garden these had some black mold problems at the end of the season--if you take precautions to prevent that you should have a good crop.

T