Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old September 7, 2011   #1
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default bhut jolokia Indian woman story

My husband found this story about a woman from India who eats Bhut Jolokia peppers like candy! The article is from Hemispheres magazine, August 2011.

http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/2...-ghost-buster/
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2011   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Amazing, thanks for posting.
Old September 7, 2011   #3
lurley
Tomatovillian™

I didn't see anything about it, but maybe she is one of those rare people that feel no pain? Yikes!
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2011   #4
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i don't know about this, i mean eating them is one thing but rubbing them in your eyes? come on! i assume that this is cut up or mashed not whole as the article stated if they are uncut they won't harm you. i can believe she eats them, if you eat really hot food you are used to it and plenty of indians do eat fiery dishes. but i just question the accuracy or frankly the truthfulness of this article - i do not believe she rubs these peppers in her eyes. period. what's the proof? an article? written by whom? i'm a doubting thomas and yes my name is thomas but this just strikes me as an impossible. sorry.

words to live by - believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear.

and now for the mr. stupid of the year award - I clutch the pepper by its harmless stem and bite off a little hunk. At first it’s more sweet than hot. Not bad, I think. I can handle this. In fact, it’s actually pretty tasty. And so I go in for a big bite. can you say idiot?

doubting tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2011   #5
duckfan
Tomatovillian™

I finally got around to growing Bhuts this year. The weather conditions were ideal. It was hot and dry all summer. I watched several videos on You Tube and to be honest, I was afraid to stick one in my mouth. I worked up the courage to try one today. I was disappointed. It was hot alright but not near as bad as the videos on You tube would lead you to believe. I'm going to make some chili with them tomorrow. I'm looking forward to eating it.
duckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2011   #6
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to make some chili with them tomorrow. I'm looking forward to eating it.

OK, duckfan - let us know how your chili came out and how HOT it is! Let us know your wonderful recipe!
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2011   #7
duckfan
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry but I don't use a recipe. I use a little of this and a little of that and cook until the beans and meat are tender. A lot of it depends on what I have on hand. This time I used stew meat cut into 1/2" cubes, a quart of beef stock, 2 14.5 oz. cans of diced tomatoes, a pound of rehydrated dried red beans, a few tablespoons of chili powder, oregano and freshly ground cumin, 4 minced, medium sized garlic cloves, some freshly ground black pepper, 2 teaspoons of brown sugar, a little salt, 1 minced Ancho pepper,2 minced Biker Billy peppers, 2 minced Cascabel peppers, and one minced Bhut Jolokia pepper. All of the peppers had the seeds and membranes removed before mincing.
I first salted and browned the meat in 3 stages in a Dutch Oven over medium heat. When I cooked the third group I added the garlic and browned them together. I then added 1/2 of the beef stock, one can of tomatoes and one third of the spices. I cooked it over medium heat(lid on) until the liquid began to thicken(about 40 minutes). I then added the remainder of the beef stock, the second can of tomatoes the second third of the spices, the sugar and all of the minced peppers except the Bhut. I simmered it for another hour or so and then added the remainder of the spices and the Bhut. I then simmered it until the meat and beans were tender. I was satisfied with the spices so I didn't add anything else. None of the measurements are exact. I add a little at a time until it tastes right and I stop. I like my chili served over a small ball of rice and topped with minced raw onions and shredded sharp cheddar.

The Bhut made a substantial difference in the heat and this made a pleasantly hot bowl of chili. It warmed me without burning me. I would put it at a three alarm level.

Now for the bad part. WEAR DISPOSABLE GLOVES WHEN HANDLING THESE PEPPERS. Many years of eating spicy foods, getting tear gassed and getting maced (occupational hazards)have given me a relatively high degree of tolerance to Capiscum. I order Fra Diavolo and I'm always disappointed. Tabasco sauce has no effect on me. I eat Jalapeno Poppers and taste little more than the cream cheese. This stuff is a whole other animal. If you cut them up with your bare hands and then scratch your nose or go to the bathroom, you're going to be uncomfortable for a while. That's even if you have washed your hands multiple times with soap and water.
duckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2011   #8
cesarz
Tomatovillian™

There are some of us that have a weird gene that can make us not be affected by chili heat. I could only detect the heat of Tabasco and any with a lower scovill scale but higher than that everything is sweet.
When habanero was the rage of being the hottest, i used to come up to a pepper stand and munch on a whole jabanero sample to the fright of the stall owner but it just tastes sweet to me. I was very dissapointed when I tried Ghost bhut jholokia and it did not affect me a bit. It was bland and tasteless. I will stick to tabasco.
By the way, my ancestry is from the mexican indians somewhere near Puebla.
cesarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2011   #9
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Cesarz, that is something!
Old September 29, 2011   #10
cortona
Tomatovillian™

iìve a 4 year love story with naga morich, buth jolokia, trinidad scorpions ecc ecc i grow it several times, and of course i've ryed it several time, surely i'm one of the ever disappointed with fra diavolo but at today i've not one that wil joke with the naga..... it whil kil you.....
some plants show srongest flawor, some (the ones i love) show realy citrusy taste, so i think it ever worth the time and labor to grow it!
cortona is offline   Reply With Quote