Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 27, 2011   #1
BW_AustinTX
Tomatovillian™

Default Would an Earthtainer have worked in TEXAS's heat this past summer?

Hi all,

I have a question about Ray's Earthtainer. It is in regards to TEXAS heat.

As many of you know, we had BRUTAL temperatures this past summer in TX, especially in Central TX where I live, in Austin. Since May, we had something like 100 days above 100F. It absolutely was not fun. Even night time temps stayed in mid to upper 90's. I do not have a pool, but those that do did not use them as the water stayed close to 100F. I mention all this to ask a question. If a pool is hanging around 100F, then surely the water reservoir in the Earthtainer would too. Not to mention the actual container part would of been in excess of 120F or so, even if light colored.

My question is, would tomato plants have survived in general in these conditions in an Earthtainer? And if so, what would of been realistic expectations.

I had bought supplies for an Earthtainer prior to the summer, but as life has it.. my plan did not come to fruition. But... I am still planning on building it for early spring. I LOVE the idea of the H20 conservation, especially since we are in "end of times" drought conditions here in Central Texas. But, I would like to know that if next summer is another one of Apocalyptic heat, is it worth my trouble and time to set it up. In general I know the Earhtainers are fantastic. I specifically am asking for my type of heat scenarios in Central Texas.

Thank you for your answers, insight, and thoughts.
BW_AustinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2011   #2
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

In my opinion, nothing produces in Texas during summers like we had with virtually every day 100 or more degrees and every night above 80 degrees for a low. The earth tainer can't change that part of the environment. Things it will do: allow you to get your spring growth on faster as the soil is above ground and hit directly by the sun warming it up much faster than a soil based garden. EARLY is EVERYTHING in Texas if you want any production. (May not apply to Pan handle Texans who have a series of issues that I've never had to deal with). What else it does is allow for less disease (no water on the leaves), miserly water consumption, and in my experience in last year and this year, get more production per plant. Further, in the Fall, I had at least a couple of plants survive the Inferno that are now producing again, as well as a fall replanted crop that are also producing. At least in my garden, this is harder to impossible to do because my soil beds face due south and get so much direct sun that by the time a fall crop can establish in the heat, it is too late for production. Right now my 6 ETs have more than 100 green tomatoes on them from full sized down to much smaller. They are still trying to produce new ones, but, I'm going to cut them back and pick off newer ones to concentrate the plant's energy on already developing tomatoes. Finally, if we get a quick one night light freeze, I'll pull all my tainers into a heated garage and pull them back out when it is warmer. This helped me extend the season by 3 weeks or more last year.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2011   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

BW,

Even here in "milder" N. California, the Summer Sun is intense. Come July 1, I rig up a Coolaroo sun shade to help protect the plants:

Seems to work pretty well, and I would think in Austin, it would also extend your growing Season.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2011   #4
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

I would think being able to handcart 'tainers into the shade on scorcher days would help immensely. Inversely, as it gets colder, you could cart them into the sun. It might be best to put a rectangle of plywood underneath to support the 'tainer before moving it...a bit of weight there.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2011   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I dont find it feasible to mess with tomateos in 100 plus heat here in the Austin area.
All you get is a plant that drops blossoms.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2011   #6
Direct Sunlight
Tomatovillian™

I wish I had it figured out. My fall tomatoes are now producing for the first time, now that there's a chance of frost every week.
Old October 29, 2011   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direct Sunlight View Post
I wish I had it figured out. My fall tomatoes are now producing for the first time, now that there's a chance of frost every week.
Phrase coined by me.
You always have the most fun right before you crash.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote