Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 28, 2010   #31
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I've grown CP a couple years, I do like it. Just wanting to try a few new things.

I realize everyone's results will differ, but in picking something to try it's just nice to start with what a bunch of people like. For example, almost everyone seems to like Black Cherry and sungold. I realize I might get different results, but it's somewhere to start.

I wonder about a community garden, I may look into that. I don't know if there are any around - I'm sorta in the country, I probably just need a friendly farmer.

I do know a guy who (commercially) grows tomatoes. He also does some heirlooms. I'm considering bugging him, he might not mind sticking a few plants in, and sharing the results with me - I was helping him pick a variety last year. Now I'm thinking....
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2010   #32
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

This year I had Cherokee Purple from Baker Creek, Indian Stripe from Carolyn and Spudakee from Bill Malin, but none made it to fruiting, because I planted late to avoid the soaked soil with potential for flooding, and late blight killed most of my plants in July. Next year I'll try Cherokee Purple again from the same packet, and in addition to the seeds from Carolyn and Bill Malin, I now have Spudakee and Indian Stripe from Gleckler. In the future I might grow IS PL and Cherokee Purple PL (if Jere Gettle makes it available through Baker Creek as well as the SSE Yearbook).
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2011   #33
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

Tam91.....invest in a chain saw.

I think that I shall never see
a tomato patch as pretty as a tree.
In fact unless that tree should fall,
I'll never have a "patch" at all.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2011   #34
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Haha well I have one. As the trees on the west side (the #$(%* walnuts) belong to the neighbor, he might have an objection however. Sigh.