Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 20, 2012   #1
barryla61
Tomatovillian™

Default Who lives in a state borderingVirginia?

Where are you located?
Wanted to see what varieties you like to grow, both heirloom and hybrids.
I live in central VA and wanted to see what tomatoes others with a similar climate liked.
Here are some tried and true hybrid varieties we have grown as I'm just starting to delve into the growing of heirlooms.

The following 3 reds we raise for market, they have beauty as well as great taste.
Goliath
Super Sonic
Big Beef

Lemon Boy – Yellow tomato, very meaty, good on sandwich, great canner, super shelf life. We grow this for market as well
Early Goliath - Red, best early big tomato we have found

4th of July - Red about size of ping pong ball, good snacker, beefsteak flavor
Golden Rave - Oblong yellow, great as a snack and in salads
Tomato Berry – Great small tomato, gets sweeter after picked, never cracks
Razzle Berry – Deliciuos small to mid-size pink tomato

I have seeds for the following...any & all comments on these varieties are welcome

BARNES MOUNTAIN YELLOW
CHEROKEE PURPLE
FRANK'S LARGE RED
GOLDEN PINEAPPLE
KBX
KY BEEFSTEAK ORANGE
OMAR'S LEBANESE
ORANGE HEART
PINEAPPLE
PONDEROSA
BARLOW JAP
BEEFSTEAK
BRANDYWINE
EVA PURPLE BALL
COWLICK BRANDYWINE
PLUM LEMOM
FLAME
GERMAN QUEEN
YELLOW BRANDYWINE
GIGANTESQUE
MARIANNA'S PEACE
SUNSET RED HORIZON
DRUZBA
JUANE FLAMME
MATINA
PEG'S ROUND ORANGE
So, what do you grow?

Last edited by barryla61; January 20, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
barryla61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2012   #2
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

Love KBX,brandywine,German queen,Cherokee purple, and Goliath raised them all for several years and do well for me here in southeast Tennessee. I really want to grow Mariannas Peace but have had no success with them here ive tried three years in a row. I have grown 4th of july but really didnt care for them as well as orange heart.. the rest one your list i have little or no experience with.....
GIZZARDFARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2012   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

What's the difference between Flame and Juane Flammee and I ask for the following reason.

When I sent seeds to Linda at TGS for Jaune Flamme I left off the Jaune part so she initially listed them as Flamme or Flame, I can't remember. I just looked at the 2012 catalog and she has it as Flamme on page 53 on what I call the graveyard page as well as on the next page for bulk orders. For two years when she was listing in the main section she akaed it as Jaune Flammee.

I see Hillbilly being akaed as Flame which is totally wrong.

Years ago when the Olympics were in LA Renee Sheperd introduced one called Olympic Flame, which was a selection from a gold/red bicolor, not named. THe Olympic Comm said no no, so she changed it to Old Flame, and that morphed into just Flame; three names for the same variety and 2/3 can still be seen today here and there.

So what is your Flame supposed to be and where from? It should be very different from Jaune Flammee.

Gotta love tomato names.
Old January 21, 2012   #4
barryla61
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
So what is your Flame supposed to be and where from? It should be very different from Jaune Flammee.

Gotta love tomato names.
The "Flame" seeds are coming from the Blue Ribbon seed offer with this description... large yellow/orange beefsteak with red coloration that looks like flames coming up from the blossom end, this tomato is also called Hillbilly, which may be a different variety

The "Juane Flamme" seeds are from "lurley" here on the site. I didn't ask but I'm hoping these will be the 3-4 oz orange variety
Old January 21, 2012   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryla61 View Post
The "Flame" seeds are coming from the Blue Ribbon seed offer with this description... large yellow/orange beefsteak with red coloration that looks like flames coming up from the blossom end, this tomato is also called Hillbilly, which may be a different variety

The "Juane Flamme" seeds are from "lurley" here on the site. I didn't ask but I'm hoping these will be the 3-4 oz orange variety
OK, as I said in a post above someone somewhere just added the word Flame as an aka to the variety Hillbilly which is not correct. I don't know why Maria didn't just list it as Hillbilly, but that's what you have and no flames at all, just the typical reddish pink blush that starts at the blossom end and moves up towards the stem end. It's a typical gold/red large beefsteak of which there are about 200 named ones.

I'm sorry I didn't see it on her list but I did see another one that I PMed her about and gave her a link and she changed it ASAP.

Jaune Flammee is a variety I got in a huge trade with Norbert in France in 1992 , who just appeared here at Tville quite recently, and yes, that would be about the size range and orange globes with wonderful taste. I like it a lot and if you go to Tania's site you'll see many seed sites offer this variety.

Hope that helps.
Old January 21, 2012   #6
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Love KBX, Pineapple, and Juanne Flammee.
edit: oops, but I'm not from your area. Well, they taste very good in Illinois.
Old January 21, 2012   #7
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

Definitely try one of the following: German Johnson. Red Brandywine, Brandywine OTV. For a good hybrid, I would suggest Pink Girl.....a great tomato!
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012   #8
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Barry, do you have problems with blight in central virginia? I do. Last year
was terrible. I had a good year in 2009, and hoping for a good one again in
2012. Maybe it's the house/yard I'm living at now. I lived in a different house in
this same city(virginia beach) years ago, and my tomatoes never had blight.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012   #9
attml
Tomatovillian™

Barry,

I am a little to your north in Maryland. I had a heck of a time with leaf miners last year but from your list Matina went nuts for me and produced like crazy and Cowlick Brandywine and the original Brandywine did well for me last year before things went south. Sungold and Matt's Wild Cherry were good for me as well and both had outstanding flavor.

Mark

attml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012   #10
barryla61
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
Barry, do you have problems with blight in central virginia? I do. Last year
was terrible. I had a good year in 2009, and hoping for a good one again in
2012. Maybe it's the house/yard I'm living at now. I lived in a different house in
this same city(virginia beach) years ago, and my tomatoes never had blight.
We get it here too