Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old March 25, 2012   #1
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Default Question about breeding

Hi everyone! Quick question. Say I crossed green zebra and lime green salad, looking for a dwarf with green zebra fruit. At the third generation, I had mostly dwarf plants with green fruits that were slightly striped. Would I want to cross the f3 plants with green zebra again, to try and bring more of green zebra's characteristics back into play? Has anyone done this?

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2012   #2
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Backcrossing is a common breeding approach to do exactly what you say. That new F1 generation would be the BC1 generation.

See here for a description:

http://mcclintock.generationcp.org/i...102&Itemid=124

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgplp View Post
Hi everyone! Quick question. Say I crossed green zebra and lime green salad, looking for a dwarf with green zebra fruit. At the third generation, I had mostly dwarf plants with green fruits that were slightly striped. Would I want to cross the f3 plants with green zebra again, to try and bring more of green zebra's characteristics back into play? Has anyone done this?

Taryn
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2012   #3
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Chris! Maybe we could do this for our micro dwarf project. By the way, yesterday I transplanted my Micro Toms, Mohammeds, and Hahms Gelbe Topftomates to bigger peat pots. In another month or so I can put them in my hoophouse. How are your micro dwarfs doing?

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2012   #4
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

It's been so warm here I'm ready to dig in the soil! But I know there is a chance for colder weather to return. Mid April is when I will plant out. All 40 or so varieties are in 2" pots indoors under lights.

We should start a set of threads for all the crosses we succeed on when the time comes. I'm thinking we could get multiple generations in a season.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgplp View Post
Thanks Chris! Maybe we could do this for our micro dwarf project. By the way, yesterday I transplanted my Micro Toms, Mohammeds, and Hahms Gelbe Topftomates to bigger peat pots. In another month or so I can put them in my hoophouse. How are your micro dwarfs doing?

Taryn
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2012   #5
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

The stripes in GZ are due to the gs (green stripe) gene. This line should be segregating for both dwarf habit and stripes. The heterozygous plant +/gs will have faint striping, as you describe here. One in four of the progeny in the next generation will be homozygous for gs, and show the prominent striping present in the GZ parent. There is no need to backcross unless you are trying to capture something else from the GZ parent.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #6
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

I made GREEN ZEBRA crosses to GREEN ELF (LIME GREEN SALAD) many years ago. I think many of them are from the late 1980's. Too busy to find the seed, but I remember having them in Bakersfield, however dwarfs were not popular then and especially not in that hot climate.

I remember stabilizing the crosses with one gallon containers...and selected a single fruit per clone....with the heat stress...even a single fruit was appreciated. I remember an assortment of fruit sizes...and yes, green flesh and stripes.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote