Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old February 14, 2012   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default New EarthTainer and InnTainer Construction Guides Published - February 14, 2012

I have revised the two Construction Guides today. For the EarthTainer, the design of the Aeration Bench support assembly has been simplified (the Guide is now 19 pages vs. 20 pages before). I have also changed the Grow Media ratios slightly, and increased the Dolomite Lime recommendation to 3 Cups.

Minor "Tweaks" have been made to the InnTainer Guide as well.

Here are the direct links:

http://earthtainer.tomatofest.com/pd...tion-Guide.pdf

http://earthtainer.tomatofest.com/pd...tion-Guide.pdf

Happy Valentine's Day!!

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; February 14, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2012   #2
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

So, no Pine Bark Fines and a 5:1 Media : Perlite combo is the change that I'm seeing. Is that it?
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2012   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceloft View Post
So, no Pine Bark Fines and a 5:1 Media : Perlite combo is the change that I'm seeing. Is that it?

Wow - you are a fast reader!

Yes, the recommended ratio for someone using the "basic" Mix is now 5 parts Sunshine Mix #4, and 1 part Perlite.

Nothing changed in the "Tweaks for the Experts" Section (page 17) regarding the 3:2:1 Combo Mix ratio for those who want to go the extra mile, adding in the Microbark....

Raybo
Old February 16, 2012   #4
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,
Just curious, why the reduction in Sunshine - increase in perlite ratio?
Does Sunshine already contain Perlite?

I am using the Promix BX (no access to Sunshine on the East Coast).
Do you still recommend an 8:5:1 with Promix?
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2012   #5
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

James,

I only have hands on experience with the Sunshine Mix #4 product. By itself, it is too moisture retentive in the SWC EarthTainer. Last Season for the "Basic Mix", I recommended cutting it with 1 part Perlite for every 6 parts Sunshine. Reports back to me from folks who used this ratio reported still too much moisture.

So increasing the ratio of Perlite to Mix in a 5 parts Mix to 1 part Perlite will increase air porosity and give better drainage, while still maintaining necessary wicking.

Pro-Mix HP (High Porosity) is a product that would be more equivalent to the 5 parts Sunshine to 1 part Perlite, but the fallacy of that path is you end up paying about $10.00 per cubic foot for the Perlite portion in the Pro-Mix HP bale, when you could just take a Pro-Mix BX bale and add in additional Perlite which should cost about $5.00 per cubic foot. Do the math on the Perlite percentages in BX versus HP, then compare costs for equal component percentages and you will see what I mean.

In any event, I HIGHLY recommend you try to use the 8:5:2 Combo Mix of Sunshine Mix (or Pro-Mix BX), Microbark, and Perlite, as this will give you the best results in an EarthTainer (or any SWC, for that matter).

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; February 16, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old February 16, 2012   #6
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! 8:5:2 got it.
What is the overall percentage of perlite to aim for?
20 to 25? Or higher? BX has something like 14 to 20 percent perlite in it already.
Old February 16, 2012   #7
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

8:5:2? What happened to 3:2:1?
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2012   #8
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Ray can certainly respond better than I.
3:2:1 is for Sunshine or other Peat product straight out of the bag.
ProMix BX has between (I just looked at the label again) 15% to 25% perlite already baked in.
So to get to 3:2:1 using Promix the formula needed to be adjusted to take the extra perlite into account.
Old February 16, 2012   #9
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
Ray can certainly respond better than I.
3:2:1 is for Sunshine or other Peat product straight out of the bag.
ProMix BX has between (I just looked at the label again) 15% to 25% perlite already baked in.
So to get to 3:2:1 using Promix the formula needed to be adjusted to take the extra perlite into account.
Exactly!

I think I did miss updating the "8:5:2" number in the "Tweaks" section however. Will make that fix on the next Rev.

Also, there is no "universal ratio", as those in climates where you get a lot of rain should increase the Perlite percentage. Those in very dry (southwest) climates may want to back off on the Perlite. Everyone will need to adjust the final ratios to their own conditions. The 8:5:2 ratio is just a reference point to start from.

Raybo
Old February 16, 2012   #10
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

As always Raybo, Thanks!
Old February 16, 2012   #11
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

If you don't want to fool around mixing the ratios yourself, Sunshine Advanced Mix #4 is the product you will want:

http://www.sunshineadvanced.com/products

Pricey, but a complete out-of-the-bag solution.

Raybo
Old February 16, 2012   #12
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

I looked at that, but I can't get it in NY. Promix BX on the other hand I can get 10 min away.
Old April 2, 2012   #13
Salaam
Tomatovillian™

I was going to start another thread, but I think my question is related.

Should not the soil mix combination for the Inntainer be different than the Earthtainer because it doesn't rain inside? Just as you mentioned that the mix should be changed taking climate into account.

I ask this because I'm planning to have containers on my balcony, which will get some rain, but much less rain that the outside.

Salaam
Salaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #14
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Salaam,

You will be fine with the 3:2:1 Combo Mix on the balcony - even though it won't rain a lot on them. Just make sure they have a South exposure to get plenty of sunshine.

Raybo
Old April 3, 2012   #15
Salaam
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Ray.

Yep, the balcony's south facing. It's a large balcony, but it's got walls on both sides, sort of like this: http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new/d...2837836_XS.jpg.

Hope it works!

Salaam
Salaam is offline   Reply With Quote