Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old June 3, 2012   #1
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Default Any Avocado Growers Out There?

I live where avocados grow well, in So. CA and decided after all these years to buy a Reed avocado after tasting one at a farmer's market. I've looked online for tips on choosing a site, and only one so far even mentioned about avocados having invasive roots. Others merely write about their shallow roots and how tall they get. etc.
My question is, how far from a neighboring cement block wall should I plant? Is 6 to 8 ft too close, will the roots eventually uproot the wall, or is that not a concern? I could plant it more inside my garden, but it would involve moving a young citrus and I sorta wanted to avoid that.

Thanks for your help!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2012   #2
tommytonk
Tomatovillian™

Default Avacado

Hi Peebee,

I live in Chula Vista and planted a zutano 30 years ago, The tree is 65 feet high now and has given me over 400 avacados in one year.

Drainage is the most important point when planting avacados. My tree is six feet from a block cement wall.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1032835...244/June52012#

Good luck and have attached a photo of my tree last year.

Tommy

Last edited by tommytonk; June 5, 2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: BAD PHOTO
tommytonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2012   #3
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Since I last posted, I have been able to find more info and it seems that to be on the safe side, 10 ft from a retaining wall or bldg is recommended. But I know there are plenty of people who have them much closer, like you Tommy. By the way, your picture cannot be seen, says page not found. But thank you anyways for replying and letting me know that I can plant within the 6 to 10 ft range. I plan to plant this weekend, excited!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2012   #4
tommytonk
Tomatovillian™

Default new photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
Since I last posted, I have been able to find more info and it seems that to be on the safe side, 10 ft from a retaining wall or bldg is recommended. But I know there are plenty of people who have them much closer, like you Tommy. By the way, your picture cannot be seen, says page not found. But thank you anyways for replying and letting me know that I can plant within the 6 to 10 ft range. I plan to plant this weekend, excited!
Hi PeeBee,

New photo

tommy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patchupdate 001.jpg (624.6 KB, 33 views)
tommytonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2012   #5
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I have tried to plant avocado trees here, but I think the desert just is too hot, then too cold for them to survive. Mine only die in the summer.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote