Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old December 13, 2012   #16
Rgold1963
Tomatovillian™

I did see great results with the LED light earlier this year. Hard to look at when it's running but the plants did well under it. The biggest issue I have with them are the fact that they are so expensive and use a lot more electricity than I would have thought. I could justify the price IF they used a lot less energy for the amount of light they put out. There is a very long ROI with them.
When pricing out the lighting for my new tomato start area, running 1000W MH was the lowest initial investment cost and since I only use the area for about 8 weeks a year, it made the most sense. If I was planning on growing under lights all year long, then a lot of other factors would come into consideration as to what would be the best solution.
As a business owner, you have to balance cost to performance very carefully as it can be the difference between being profitable or taking a loss for the year. While they may be a "better" option at times, it might not always be what's best for the bottom line.

Ron
Rgold1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2012   #17
WillysWoodPile

Thanks for doing all that work for us Wired. It's to have information from somebody who obviously knows what they are talking about. I am sure that 80% of indoor growers are going to be your Average Joe Schmoe type.