Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old January 7, 2013   #1
AprilMayJune
Tomatovillian™

Default Hornworm Prevention?

Apologies if there are 200 threads about this already...I used the search function but didn't find anything that was this exact question. I'm still figuring out the lay of the land here.

So last summer was the first time I'd ever grown a serious amount of tomatoes, aside from the occasional container. Things went pretty well, but naturally this also meant that critters that I hadn't had the pleasure of seeing before all wanted in on my tomatoes and assorted veggies, haha.

We had a small but determined group of hornworms on our plants by mid August (being such a newbie, at first I was like, "oh, cool! Giant caterpillars have come to live in my garden!"...and then I went online and looked them up and was, as you might imagine, disappointed, heh.) Since we only had a few, my husband just grabbed them off and got rid of them, and the damage they did wasn't too bad, but only because I was lucky enough to spot them in time.

I don't want to use any kind of pesticides. Is there any way I can make my plants unattractive to hornworms next year that doesn't involve chemicals? Or do I have to just remain vigilant and kick them out if they crash the party again next year?

Last edited by AprilMayJune; January 7, 2013 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Left out words
AprilMayJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2013   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Try Bacillus Thuringiensis ( BT), all natural, organic bacterium that gives caterpillars an infection, doesn't harm people. I think you can even buy it at home Depot.
If those caterpillars have a bunch of white eggs on their back, don't kill em. They have parasitized by a wasp that kills them, so it is a beneficial insect's eggs, which we want for them to kill and eat the hornworm!
-Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2013   #3
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Also familiarize yourself with the eggs of the hornworm. They are about the size of a pin head and kind of pale green to milky white. They usually are laid singly on the leaves, top or bottom. Once you know what they look like you can pick them off and either squash them or throw them in water to drown them.

Here are some photos that show the egg and also the wasp eggs that were previously mentioned.

http://growingsmallfarms.ces.ncsu.ed...arms-hornworm/

If you happen to miss the egg, you'll eventually see the little brown waste particles that these worms produce. If you see those, you have an idea where to look for the worm which you can then destroy.

Searching for these signs may be enough to keep the damage to a minimum without having to spray. Depends on how many moths you have laying eggs.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2013   #4
Wisbill
Tomatovillian™

Agree with Ginger, I have had Hornworm issues in the past and tried BT this season with great results. Do some reading on BT and I think you will be pleased.
Wisbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2013   #5
AprilMayJune
Tomatovillian™

Fantastic -- thanks for the replies, everyone!
AprilMayJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2013   #6
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

BT works so well. Do you know what worm poop looks like? When you see that big, black trail of poop pellets, get out the BT and spray.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2013   #7
arivaraci
Tomatovillian™

I had horrendous hornworm infestations for the past two years and only got it under control this last year with BT. From advice here on TV : )
arivaraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2013   #8
coastal bend
Tomatovillian™

Spinosad(newer bt) lasted longer than bt for me. I have hornworm and army worm problems every year and the spinosad kept them out longer a lot better control.
coastal bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2013   #9
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

I agree with coastal bend -- Spinosad works better and lasts longer for me than Bt