Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old April 3, 2013   #1
vegnflower
Tomatovillian™

Default Baby Pics & Couple ?'s

Here are my seedlings that were started on 3/16.

Photo Apr 03, 8 21 18 PM.jpg

They were initially started in my seedling tray with a dome cover. Then after the majority of them had popped their cotyledon open I transplanted the cubes into Jiffy pots with Just Right Xtra potting soil. In a 4 - 6 weeks I plan on dropping the Jiffy pots into my AutoPot system and some in plain containers on my deck.

I initially dropped two seeds into each Rapid Rooter cube and after about week approximately 1/2 of them had popped. I was expecting to clip off the slower growing of the pair. Being a near total newbie and fearing that I may have some bad or slow seeds, I dropped a couple more seeds into each of the cubes not showing any germination activity. Now I not only have cubes with two seedlings, some have even more, and I'm thinking about attempting to either separate the pairs and growing two separate plants.

Photo Apr 03, 8 26 52 PM.jpgPhoto Apr 03, 8 28 08 PM.jpg

However, I fear that trying to separate them I may stress and stunt them, especially since I'm now seeing some of the roots starting to poke through the bottoms of the Jiffy pots. So, is my fear a reality? ...and should I just behead the little suckers or should I attempt separating them?

This one surprised me a bit.

Photo Apr 03, 8 24 19 PM.jpg

I wasn't expecting the purple spots on the leaves but all four Indigo Rose are showing the same characteristics. Remember I said "newbie" ;-)
Old April 4, 2013   #2
gggeek
Tomatovillian™

See the dense planting thread http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=437 . The little babies will be fine if you separate them.