Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 9, 2013   #1
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Default I need celery advice!

I am growing celery for the 1st time; it may be too warm for them in my zone 10 but I'll plant in a partially protected sunny site. Question: do I separate each little seedling, if so, how far apart? How big should they be before I plant them?
I tried looking online but cannot seem to find the info about what to do with all the seedlings growing so close together, maybe I sowed them too densely?
Thanks!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2013   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I thin them out, then transplant them into containers (EarthBox) when they are 4 inches tall - about 6 inches apart. Partial Sun works well this time of year in California.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2013   #3
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

The first time I grew celery from seed, I separated 1/4 of the clump and ended up with a few dozen plants. The seeds are like dust! I generally transplant tiny seedlings into 6-packs, then into either 4-inch pots or the ground, depending on the weather and how much garden space is available.

My Redventure celery has reseeded itself this year! But the volunteers are still relatively small. I planted Amsterdam cutting celery this year, and they've gotten huge in the past week.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2013   #4
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Celery

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?OZEIV 11 May 2012 Celery
Eight celery seedlings were planted in the outdoor garden. The seedlings were purchased in flats and transplanted in pots and kept in the greenhouse for a few days to establish a strong root system. No pests attack this plant in my garden, and the plant thrives. The area will be heavily mulched with wood chips after the soil warms up to retain moisture. I got a 9 cubic yard load of one year old wood chips today, and placed in a pile at the back of the garden for later use.

The fourth picture is one celery plant. The plants get very large. I use as required.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?YESPM 14 July 2012 Cucumber Juice (Egg plant,Okra,Celery,Basil)
Cucumbers made into juice and celery, basil,okra and egg plan were added. All available from he garden. Seven litres of juice was made and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes. Annotated photographs depict the process.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote