Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old May 13, 2013   #1
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default HELP! Potato Leaf Trouble Already

This a.m. I found these few bad leaves on Yukon Gold and Red Norland plants. All the rest are still pristine as are all the other varieties. I've searched a bit but haven't found a match for either problem and wonder if anyone might be able to help with the i.d. in case I should spray something this evening. They haven't been sprayed with anything but kelp & Spray-N-Grow once and that was a while ago because of the recent wetness of leaves/full sun situations that have occurred when I could have sprayed.

The cripsy brown leaf tip problem in the first pic was on the YG and the watery looking wetness along the leaf edges (top & bottom, 2nd & 3rd pic) was found on the RN. The latter reminds me a bit of Late Blight but there are no rings or fuzziness present yet and it seems too early in the season.Both were planted 3/27; RN emerged 4/10; YG emerged a week later.

I thought both looks might just be different stages of the same problem but the damage isn't in the same place on the leaves.

All the plants are completely hilled up and lightly mulched with shredded leaves as of last week. I could take pics of the rows if it would help but they are looking fine.

Tia for any assistance-

kath
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2217.jpg (409.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2225.jpg (383.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2221.jpg (420.8 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by kath; May 13, 2013 at 01:18 PM. Reason: addition
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013   #2
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

does the underside of the leaves have a white powdery look? Does the lesion have a light green 'halo' around it? If yes to both of these...may be late blight.If not may be tip burn from hot dry windy weather, or from touching hot soil. Or it could be something else. I use the Ontario potato field guide to insects, disease, and defects....hope this helps.
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
does the underside of the leaves have a white powdery look? Does the lesion have a light green 'halo' around it? If yes to both of these...may be late blight.If not may be tip burn from hot dry windy weather, or from touching hot soil. Or it could be something else. I use the Ontario potato field guide to insects, disease, and defects....hope this helps.
No powdery look, no halo- I've had LB on potatoes & tomatoes before but thought it might be too soon for those characteristics to show up. No hot windy weather here. Leaves from upper part of the plants.

Thanks, wingnut-

kath
Old May 13, 2013   #4
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Looks kinda like frost damage
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013   #5
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZ-OH6 View Post
Gets my vote.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013   #6
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZ-OH6 View Post
Guess that could be it because it reminded me of the way my peas looked after they froze out the year I tried to cover them for protection. Although there hasn't been any sign of frost on the cars, etc., all other tender foliage has been covered during the past few nights and the low was 35-36 the night before I saw the damage (2nd & 3rd pics).

I think the first pic is just the usual hopperburn damage that I see every year a little later in the season- didn't think they were here yet.

Thanks to all for the input.

kath

Last edited by kath; May 14, 2013 at 07:40 AM.