Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old November 16, 2006   #1
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Default This had to be COPIA tomato

I've some seeds from USA at the end of 2005 with the label "Copia" on the seed packet from a trade. I grow two plant of Copia this season and they bear small to full size beefsteak fruits until mid October in my big greenhouse. I like the taste of fruits and rather large juicy part, but they has got strange green+pink-purple with some gold striped colors unless normal Jeff's Dawson's Copia which is golden-yellow+pink striped accoring to TGS or Totally Tomato describtion.

I wonder what is it. Probably Black Pineapple a.k.a. Ananas Noire but they describe it as a mix of green, purple and yellow and the main look is different as you can see. Mine has got mostly green and pink-purple with some gold and looks like oblate unusual colored Big Zebra.

Photoes of my "Copia"

Average size

Butterfly from "Copia" and unripe Purple tomatillo

Copia from from different web-sources:

Here is some Black Pineapple photoes from different web-sources:

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2006   #2
westocast73
Tomatovillian™

If my memory is correct it looks very similar to the pictures Suze's took of "Berkley Tie Dye". If I recall Berkley Tie Dye didn't have much dark purple in the center like yours have but the exterior is certainly very similar.

Berkley Tie Dye

"You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt."~Unknown
westocast73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2006   #3
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Mike, probably you are right. The only difference between BTD and my "Copia" according to photoes at this link is a massive central part (both its size and size of a dark-purple hint). It looks also like my "Copia" has much larger juice locules IMHO...

According to my tracking system I've got these seeds from a trade with John Hanna from Moscow, Idaho in 2005. His original source was TGS

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old November 17, 2006   #4
Suze
Tomatovillian™

If I had to guess, I'd say what you are seeing is some sort of instability in Copia (or I suppose it could be a cross).

Copia is a supposedly stabilized cross -- Marvel Stripe x Green Zebra.

Big Zebra -- which kind of looks like BTD, but I don't think either the exterior striping or interior is as vivid (BTD probably has a somewhat similar lineage) was found in a patch of Copia by TGS according to their catalog writeup. I've not grown BZ, but I do recall a couple of folks commenting that it wasn't always stable when they grew it out.

Can't recall if anyone was saying the same about Copia or not. And I do not know what generation either Copia or BZ were at when they were released to the public.

So, did the BZ come from instability in Copia, or was there a cross that took place in that patch where it was found? Beats me, I don't think anyone knows the answer to that.

I hope you're going to work with it; looks interesting. Different from BTD, there's really not dark in a BTD interior.

See the NORCATT pics as well, they really show coloration better than mine do.
http://www.tomatoville.com/viewtopic.php?t=2694
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2006   #5
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your comments, Suze.

Since Big Zebra has a red- and green-striped exterior and green-and-pink interior it is not BZ in my case.

Probably it is just a instability or mutation of Copia or but definately not a cross in my greenhouse because I grew 2 plants in opposite corners with completely different neighboor-varieties.

Or it is one of BTD strains... Will grow several plants of it next year to see what will happen in the future :wink:

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old November 17, 2006   #6
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi Andrey,

Here is a picture of the Copia that I grew two years ago. Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Angelique

angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2006   #7
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Andrey- it looks a real good one-please save some seeds from it, regardless of whatever it is,

If you go to the TGS web site and look up copia- just above it you will see Big zebra, read the comments about it where they say the found it growing by chance in a patch of Copia !!, and then look at the photo of it, looks like the busy bees have been hard at work and crossed it with a Copia, because Andrey's tomato is like a blend of both, - hence a new strain is born -well worth saving.

(Edited) sorry-I didnt realise Suze had already said that -above.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2006   #8
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Of course, I'd saved several hundred seeds of it and gonna name it Green Copia :wink:

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old November 20, 2006   #9
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

well-Andrey, make sure you save some for me, as I just gotta have some of those beauties
Old November 28, 2006   #10
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Andrey- approximatly when, will you be posting your new updated trade and wants list on Tomatoville- hopefully before christmas.
Old November 29, 2006   #11
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Yes, before our Orthodox Christmas (January 7)

But seriously, I'm very busy now at my working place with all these business-plans, forecasts and liquidity for the next year... Usual rush-hour time at the end of every year :wink: Maybe will finish on this week-end :wink:

As I promised it will be a revolution in the naming of Russian tomato varieties. You will see right original names in Latin (English) letters for all my Russian/Belarusian/Ukrainian/Moldovian/Polish/Czech/German varieties and their translated Enlish names when it is possible to translate :wink:

Also I'll mention as much background and source info as I can in order to present the real information about the certain variety if it is a heirloom or an old or modern commercial OP or just an old or modern amateur OP. This background info is what I missed much when I've seen so large collections of seeds in SSE Yearbook 2006 from Neil Lockhart or this Swedish guy Ake, for example.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old December 1, 2006   #12
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a lot of work-typing it all out
Old December 1, 2006   #13
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael johnson
Sounds like a lot of work-typing it all out
When you do it on a regular basis every year when adding new varieties I believe there can't any difficulties with a lot of typing work :wink:

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR