Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 20, 2013   #1
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

Default What are your breeding projects?

I just wanted to know what other people are working on for breeding projects. I am on a 6th generation project with a cross of a fatalli and a maui purple. I also am working on a cross between a caribean red hab and a jalapeno. I make alot of hot sauces and am trying to make something hot with thick juicy flesh. This year I am also growing an f1 of a brown douglah and a hungarian black. I have all sorts of wild peppers and try crossing everything. What is everyone else working on?
Craig
Minnesota Mato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2013   #2
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

I definitely have breeding goals that I've been collecting germ-plasm for.

Getting a selection of interesting traits into the micro ("Tiny Tim", "Red Robin", etc.) genetic background : anthocyanin fruit, other colors, larger fruit sizes, enhanced flower trusses, etc. I've got several crosses planned for this year related to this, though I don't know if my skills/time will let me succeed.

I'd love to have a lilac-shaded habanero-type chile. For this I want to get a white habanero to cross to the purple-podded annum type I have already.

Another chile goal is to combine the most extreme shape-traits I can find into one plant. The wings from a baccatum pod... the horns and tails I sometimes see on the super-hots... Mostly, this would just be me playing around.
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013   #3
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

I have something close to a lilac-shaded habanero- type working right now. The colors might not work like you think. Almost anything you cross will be red in the F1. I found this for the colors.y : yellow

cl : chlorophyll retention

c1 : reduces pigments by 1/10

c2 : reduces pigment to traces.

Color genotypes:

y cl c1 c2

+ + + + red

+ + c1 + light red

+ + + c2 orange

+ + c1 c2 pale orange

+ cl + + chocolate

y + + + yellow

y + c1 + pale yellow

y + + c2 lemon yellow

y + c1 c2 white

y cl - - green
Minnesota Mato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #4
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Oh, I'm not at all surprised at such. My hypothetical plans would mostly involve growing out lots and lots of the F2s.
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote