Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 6, 2013   #1
papadennis
Tomatovillian™

Default U-Pick Tomatoes

Has anyone out there ever done a u-pick with tomatoes before, or know someone else who has? I have planted over 200 heirloom tomatoes with over 80 different varieties. They haven't really started to come in yet, but are getting close. I was going to sell them at farmer's markets and possibly fruit stands. But I am also considering a u-pick where people come to you and pick out there own tomatoes. I am looking for pros and cons. Anybody have any comments?

Mr Tomatohead
papadennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #2
crocee
Tomatovillian™

The only pro I can think of is not having to pick them yourself.
The cons are numerous and expensive:
Insurance in case someone gets hurt on your property=major big bucks.
Damage and destruction of your well cared for plants.
these are the main 2 I can think of and others will have more ideas.

In my opinion it would be best to pick them yourself and sell them at the farmers market or a stand at your home. A whole lot less headache even if it does take a bit more time and work for you.
crocee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #3
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Go to a few u-pick websites and locations, and read their rules. Anything repeated or emphasized is probably a hassle they deal with constantly.

Our local u-pick has maybe six signs telling people to park in a specific lot - people will block the store lot because it's a nominally shorter walk. And they don't u-pick certain veggies and fruits.

Also, I would look up your state laws. When we were in VA, the vineyards had signs stating they weren't liable under state law because they notified you they were a working farm or something like that.

Tl
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #4
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

People out pulling at your plants and picking half ripe fruit just to toss it on the ground if they find one better? Heck no!

What crocee said!

However, on second thought, at the end of the season it might not be as bad an idea. Once you've harvested most of what you want and you aren't really counting on it any more, opening the field might be a great way to get rid of any excess, especially if you could limit the amount of people to ones who will be taking large amounts at a time. (versus having lots of strangers (and their children) roaming aimlessly around your property just to buy one or two tomatoes.)

Maybe let a few canning clubs know and let them have at it for lower prices than they would pay at the market. Everybody's happy!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #5
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I'm with everyone else, the insurance is the kicker for me. If I were to do that here I would be liable for anyone getting hurt and I can't take that risk. Also, the tearing up your plants, walking in places they should not be and the simple chance that someone might come over just to case your property on the pretense they will buy the tomatoes.

I don't trust the general public much anymore, between cars broken into and even having water stolen when I lived on the Island. I kept seeing something through the front door and when I investigated I found home builders employees out there stealing my water, they had four five gallon buckets and wonder how many they actually filled before I caught them.

For some of the neighbors it was electricity as well, these guys would plug into their outside outlets and power their saws while they weren't home. Other builders found things stolen from their lots and I even had repair guys asking me questions about my neighbors houses. I turned it into the police because there was this huge theft ring out there. I think they had at least four different arrest days where they arrested at least 4-5 people at a time. That was about 2005-I think??

Anyway, whatever decision you make just be sure to check all the legalities of it. You could also call the local Good Samaritan, or food pantry and let them know you have some tomatoes but need help with the picking, of course that would be a donation as well.

Most of them have folks that don't mind volunteering for those things, at least here it is that way.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; July 6, 2013 at 07:01 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #6
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

The first thing I thought of was a stranger getting into your house while you're busy with customers. Be careful !
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #7
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Anyway, whatever decision you make just be sure to check all the legalities of it. You could also call the local Good Samaritan, or food pantry and let them know you have some tomatoes but need help with the picking, of course that would be a donation as well.

Most of them have folks that don't mind volunteering for those things, at least here it is that way.
Do a search for possible "Gleaner" organizations in your area if you decide to go with this option.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #8
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

I'd say NO to the u-pick-your-own.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #9
joseph
Tomatovillian™

U-pick appeals to penny pinchers: Sometimes young people going to school trying to feed a large family, sometimes older people who have made a habit out of shaving every nickle possible out of their lifestyle. It's a joy to work with the young families, it's a pain to work with the chronically stingy.

People tear up the plants, they tromp over the rest of the garden. They take rotten fruit home with them so it won't be wasted, or they waste tremendous amounts of perfectly good fruit because of a cosmetic blemish. They take 4 hours to pick the tomatoes that you could pick in a half hour.

To me, u-pick only makes sense at the end of a season for crops that are used in large quantities for canning, and/or that will be destroyed in a few days by frost, and/or that are extremely labor intensive like peas, green beans, or strawberries.

I can't get people to come out and pick free food for the local food pantry. Farming is hard difficult work. It would take the typical person off the street 10 hours to pick what I can pick in an hour. So I'd rather pick stuff myself to avoid having someone in my garden all day long trying to do an hour's worth of work.

If I could interview the applicants before they arrived....
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #10
crocee
Tomatovillian™

200 plants really isn't enough for a u-pick operation, even short term. Those plants would be stripped bare in 1 or 2 hours.
crocee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #11
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

I was going to chime in, but it has pretty well been covered.
A lot of U pick for berries where I grew up, and it is still prevalent, but only for berries.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #12
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

You pick businesses are nice. I've gone picking for apples, white, & donut peaches.

However, insurance, and licenses for that kind of business, plus I am thinking you would need a lot more than 200 tomato plants at various stages of maturity.

I would suggest sticking to selling the produce at your local farmer's market.
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
farmer's markets , fruit and vegetable stands , heirloom tomatoes , marketing tomatoes , sprouts