Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 19, 2013   #1
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Default Ma Journée

A new variety named today. Has pretty pink and yellow striped tomatoes that are of a paste type. The vine is low growing and determinate and should segregate for high late blight tolerance/resistance. The origin of the variety is from a variety I call Make My Day and this one is in French for Made My Day.

The tomato variety as fruit

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ubNRFm2.jpg?1[/IMG]

The tomato variety as a plant at time of making a cross

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/7UNKYTL.jpg?2[/IMG]

F-1seed extracted of
Ma Journée X Betimes Macbeth

I may offer the seed of Ma Journée as well as some hybrids of it. The seed from the fruit pictured could be listed in a rare collection which could be called F-1 MacJournée. The hybrid would be a birdsnest type determinate with extreme earliness of saladette red tomatoes with thick walls and extreme firmness. The variety would be tolerant of cold weather and even some frost. It would require no staking and I suggest using it as a concentrated set processing tomato. It should be tolerant of late blight, however I won't know that til a bit later this season observing it for Late Blight infestation.

Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2013   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't mind growing one of your F1 hybrids Tom. A tomato like that if consistent like F1s generally are, and great tasting like yours generally are, would be a great production tomato.

How does yield look?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2013   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

The F1 cross sounds excellent! Extremely early, cold tolerant, tasty, needs no staking. Wow!!!! What more could we ask?

I'd love to try it.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2013   #4
Loic12
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wagner View Post
A new variety named today. Has pretty pink and yellow striped tomatoes that are of a paste type. The vine is low growing and determinate and should segregate for high late blight tolerance/resistance. The origin of the variety is from a variety I call Make My Day and this one is in French for Made My Day.

The tomato variety as fruit

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ubNRFm2.jpg?1[/IMG]

The tomato variety as a plant at time of making a cross

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/7UNKYTL.jpg?2[/IMG]

F-1seed extracted of
Ma Journée X Betimes Macbeth

I may offer the seed of Ma Journée as well as some hybrids of it. The seed from the fruit pictured could be listed in a rare collection which could be called F-1 MacJournée. The hybrid would be a birdsnest type determinate with extreme earliness of saladette red tomatoes with thick walls and extreme firmness. The variety would be tolerant of cold weather and even some frost. It would require no staking and I suggest using it as a concentrated set processing tomato. It should be tolerant of late blight, however I won't know that til a bit later this season observing it for Late Blight infestation.

You mean it is French for "my day" ?
Loic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2013   #5
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

I use freetranslation.com for a guide and My Day would be Mon jour.

My Journey is the way I pronounce the name as most Americans might lazily pronounce a similar vein as Ma Journée

The spelling reminds me of my journey to France four years ago where I had Make My Day tomatoes growing for me in several locations and was able to see them close up.

Make My Day is an exhortation....

An address or communication emphatically urging someone to do something
Made My Day is a reality of that exhortation and the French spelling convention is an oblique reminder of that. Besides, I don't really want anyone trying to translate the name back to English anyway.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind growing one of your F1 hybrids Tom.
Yeah, Red Baron, I know from my tomwagnerseeds.com site that folks will pay a dollar a seed for some of my most rare tomato lines. I could put together a Ma Journée
hybrid collection of say four or five different crosses of it with a single seed per cross each in a separate ziplockette.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote