Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 25, 2014   #8
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the responses!!

I just measured my trombocino trellis from last year - it's 10' wide by 6' tall and ONE trombocino plant about covered the entire thing by the time the bugs got it. (As it grew I clipped the vines to the trellis horizontally then brought them back over to zig zag up to the top of the trellis).

I was planning to replace everything thing that had been in that bed (the squash plus eggplants) with some new Emerald artichokes, but now I'm thinking I might as well go ahead and give the trellised trombocino another year - co-existing with the artichokes. (In the meantime, I'm tearing out my old artichokes in another bed to put in more tomato trellises!)

After reading your comments, I think I'll also try to make room for the Kitazawa squash suggested by habitat gardener. I'm especially fond of the Kitazawa products as I grew up in San Jose and remember the seeds from trips to Japan Town in San Jose long ago. I grew their Kamo eggplant and Tasty Green Cucumber last year. The cucumber was a monster producer with very good flavor. I don't recall the taste of the Kamo as I combined it with other varieties for things like ratatouille and all the eggplant tasted great !

Now I'm hungry for summer veggies!!

Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote