Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 17, 2014   #1
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Default Looking for an Indian Stripe transplant in DFW

Indian Stripe is a favorite of mine. For some reason, it did not germinate well this year with only one seed germinating. Then, somehow in covering my plants yesterday from the howling cold winds of yet another cold front, I snapped the main stem of the plant about 3 inches above the ground. I don't think it'll make it.

Does anyone in the northern half of DFW happen to have an extra transplant of Indian Stripe you can spare? I have some interesting plants ready to plant I could trade you:

Solar Flare, Cherokee Green, Sun Gold, Black Cherry, Super Sioux, and several others, all of which are heirlooms.

Probably a long shot, but, worth it for an outstanding tomato like Indian Stripe.

Let me know soon as I don't want it to get far behind those I planted out last Friday.

Dewayne mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2014   #2
Poverty Knob
Tomatovillian™

Wish I was closer Dewayne. I have about 50 Indian Stripe plants but the 200 mile trip could be a problem. My germination was low this year too, luckily I always over plant.
I wish you luck.
J.L.
Poverty Knob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2014   #3
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Thanks JL. Shocked Kansas is as close as 200 miles! I've received more ISseeds and may just see how they do as a fall plant, something I've not tried with them.

Dewyne Mater.
Old March 17, 2014   #4
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

I only have 2 very wimpy plants :-( I would share but not sure they will make
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2014   #5
Poverty Knob
Tomatovillian™

OOps! Obviously it is time for me to go to bed. Ft. Worth is a 400 mile trip from here. Really too far to go to get a tomato, but I have done sillyer things!
J.L.
Poverty Knob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2014   #6
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

The first thing I'd do is treat the broken top like a cutting and get it in a pot of mix. It should root.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2014   #7
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Thanks kat and JL. Doug - good suggestion. I actually tried to save both the root piece and the top and we shall see. For this Spring, looks like we'll need to find a new favorite! With 12 varieties - 4 new to me - vying for the top spot, perhaps a new favorite will emerge.

Dewayne
Old March 19, 2014   #8
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

I think both the top and bottom will grow. I had a similar thing happen to me. The plant that was broken off eventually recovered and the top grew roots just fine.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2014   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If it had true leaves still on it, it will put out branches there even if it was the first 2.
Me cat decapitated a pile of mine one year so I know from experience.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2014   #10
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Worth - excellent. Yes, it had 4 or 5 sets of true leaves, 4 or 5 branches...snapped it just below the lowest set of leave. I'm nursing it along now and we'll see. I'm also considering a second planting in July of several Indian Stripes to see if they can survive that plant out heat blast and produce for the fall.

DM
Old March 19, 2014   #11
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Dewayne,

I'm guessing you've already been to a Calloway's or two. Have you tried Redenta's, Rosemeade Market, or any other local nursery?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2014   #12
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Calloway's (and Cornelius) carry Chef Jeff Vegetables now. & Chef Jeff has just a few "heirlooms"

MikeInCypress
Old March 20, 2014   #13
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Default Indian Stripe

I have Indian Stripe regular leaf and potato leaf tomato seeds if interested. They are awesome!! Not very good keepers, you need to eat them when they are soft.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2014   #14
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInCypress View Post
Calloway's (and Cornelius) carry Chef Jeff Vegetables now. & Chef Jeff has just a few "heirlooms"

MikeInCypress
I miss the old days when Cornelius (before being bought by Calloway's) grew their own. That's where a lot of JD's Special C-Tex plants ended up, too.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2014   #15
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Feldon - yes I checked with Calloways, Rodentas, Northaven, and Mikes in Southlake. While they didn't have Indian Stripe, I took a minute to try to convince the tomato folks there to carry them in the future as I believe it is one of the most ideally suited heirlooms for N. Tx. Productive and slight disease resistance. I'm not familiar with the Rosemead market, but will call them today. That would be excellent as it is near my house.

Gardenboy - thanks for that offer. I have some news seeds in now. The issue is our N. Tx growing window for spring is slamming shut. In my opinion we have one month at most in which you can plant out and have any hope for tomatoes. After that, it's too darn hot in the day and doesn't cool off at night and production ends or virtually ends. So, there is not time to start seeds now.

Dewayne