Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old December 31, 2013   #226
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I've seen them on sale in September, when the "Back to School" promotions run. But they weren't much cheaper than full price this year (the first year I thought to look). For what that's worth.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2013   #227
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Totes and other storage items usually go on sale in January in our area. I'm waiting for that.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2014   #228
KenNashua
Tomatovillian™

HomeDepot.com has 12-Pack Roughneck 18-Gallon Storage Totes in (Gray or Green) marked down to $91.48 - $10 w/ promotion code = $81.48. with free in-store pick up. Thanks wowthatisadeal

If you are looking for a larger size, HomeDepot.com has 6-Pack Rubbermaid Roughneck 37-Gallon Storage Totes (Gray) for $94.34 - $10 w/ promotion code = $84.34. with free in-store pick up.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/1111...-gray-or-green
KenNashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2014   #229
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

From personal experience, the Rubbermaid totes will only last 3 to 4 years in the direct Sun. The Lowes Centrex brand will last significantly longer and have a lifetime warranty. While more expensive, the amount of labor put into building the EarthTainer versus the difference in tote cost should be factored in when buying the base tote.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2014   #230
Virtex
Tomatovillian™

Just wanted to pass on a money saving tip.

I picked up 12-12-12 fertilizer and Ag Dolomite today and saved 66%-90% over what I would have paid at the local big box store.
Check your local "Turf Supply" store that sell to golf courses, the one in my town sells to the public.
Also, I found that some tractor supply and local feed stores will carry these items as well.
FYI - Most of these places sell items in 50 pound bags, make sure you bring someone with some muscles.

I paid the same amount for the fertilizer that I paid for a 16 pound bag at the big box store.
I got the 50 pounds of dolomite for $6.

Do a little search in your area, by avoiding the big box stores you will save a bundle.

If you live in the Bay Area and need help finding the place I went to let me know.

- Scott
Virtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2014   #231
Winemaker
Tomatovillian™

I am having trouble finding the 2" netting to use with the EarthTainer cages. So far the only products I can find have 6 or 7 inch squares which are really large, especially for horizontal support in the cage for peas. Any Suggestions??
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2014   #232
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

For Snow Peas I use a tighter mesh 3.5 inch trellis netting:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-HGN1...tellis+netting

You would make panels of 5 by 8 finished strings. You will need to stretch the panel corners a bit, but they will fit the cages.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; March 13, 2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old March 13, 2014   #233
Winemaker
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ray,
Ordered it this morning. Should be here by Monday.

..Doyle
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2014   #234
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

This is what the 3.5 inch trellis netting will look like installed:

Count the strings on your bulk netting to maximize yielded good panels before you begin cutting.

I think you may be a bit late starting peas in Sunnyvale, as I am about to take all of mine down here in Campbell:

In any event, they make an excellent over Winter crop in our location (for planting in November).

Raybo
Old March 14, 2014   #235
elight
Tomatovillian™

This is the trellis netting that I have used the past few years, and have found a perfect fit for my EarthTainers growing tomatoes using the pea fence cages:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The squares are 7 1/8", which is fine for tomatoes.

I used other netting before this one, and because the squares were a different size, found it difficult to stretch to keep in place given the width/depth of the cage. Of course, the smaller the squares, the less of an issue that is likely to be.
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2014   #236
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Raybo and everyone:

I did substantial to complete soilless mix change out this year. (4 year old tainers complete mix change, 2 year old, about 50% change). Question - what do you do with the retired mix? I ended up with 3 - 4 wheelbarrows full of the stuff. It looks decent still and would work in a houseplant, but, I don't have that many houseplants!

Observation: When I dumped out the oldest tainer first, I realized that in spite of use of double thick weed cloth/block, some roots had found their way under it and had filled the wicking basket full of roots. This was surely inhibiting water uptake. Additionally, the bottom 2 inches that rest on the weed block/cloth was a dense, virtually solid mass of roots covering the entire tainer bottom surface.

I decided then and there that every tainer would be emptied completely, the wicking basket cleared, rebuild the basket mound, and put back either all new or partially new mix in the empty tainer until it was full. It was a lot of work, but, I'm hopeful about this year's prospects with fluffier mix, better wicking action and less competition from old roots still in the mix.

Dewayne mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2014   #237
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Dewayne,

Since the old Mix has been in use outside, I would not use it inside the house due to eggs, etc. potentially being in the Mix. I use the old Mix around the outside landscaping - the Gardenias and Oleanders really like the remaining nutrients from it.

The 2 layers of Landscape Fabric will only inhibit the roots from going down into the water reservoir - not completely stop them. I replace the fabric when I do a complete Mix emptying cycle. Good job on clearing out the wicking basket!

Raybo
Old April 1, 2014   #238
FISHINNUT
Tomatovillian™

Why does the earthtainer need a double bottom? Instructions say to cut out one of the lids and use that inside the outer container as a double bottom. I don't understand the purpose.
FISHINNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2014   #239
lexusnexus
Tomatovillian™

What is the volume of growing medium needed to fill each unit?

Thanks,

Dan
Old April 7, 2014   #240
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHINNUT View Post
Why does the earthtainer need a double bottom? Instructions say to cut out one of the lids and use that inside the outer container as a double bottom. I don't understand the purpose.

The "double bottom" simply provides an extra layer of material underneath the Aeration Bench support. Remember, these totes are not hard rigid moulded plastic and over time, the lid cut-out just gives an extra buffer zone of protection.

Raybo