Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating tomatillos.

Old June 9, 2014   #1
brengolio
Tomatovillian™

Default Fall tomatoes south Louisiana

I'm wanting get some recommendations for tomato seeds for this fall..... I live in south Louisiana. It doesnt matter if its beef steak type or cherry. TIA
brengolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2014   #2
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

When would you be putting them in the ground?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2014   #3
brengolio
Tomatovillian™

Well
I still have tomatoes growing
Indian stripe
Spudakee and neptunes
I really dont know when the best time to start seeds for a fall garden
I want to try and get whatever seeds in soon and start them when ever the time is right
Thanks
brengolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2014   #4
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

You could always root some suckers from the plants you already have (unless they are already showing disease). Plan on setting them out as large transplants in August or thereabouts. Should be setting fruit late September or so when the weather starts to cool off.
Plenty of people here will be more than willing to share seed with you, including myself.
Old June 10, 2014   #5
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Bren - definitely search for posts about fall tomatoes because there have been some great discussions. In my opinion and for N. Tx - somewhat similar but probably cooler than your climate, cherry types and early types are the way to go. It is so frustrating to have plants that sit doing nothing in July, August, take off in Sept, set fruit, grow and have nice big green fruit that dies in the frosts of late Nov, early December!

A secondary concern if you can beat the freeze is, in fall, the sunlight hours are shorter and the sun quality if poorer, so everything slows down. A third issue is, even when it doesn't freeze, the cool nights affect the texture and taste of most tomatoes I've tried. My most successful fall tomatoes have been black and brown boar and sun gold. Others have had other suggestions. I've considered trying cold weather/early types like bloody butcher, but haven't done it yet. Good luck.

Dewayne mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2014   #6
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if Fishlake oxheart would be a good fall tomato for the South. I'm growing them now for the first time. I got a fairly late start setting them out, they grew great in April and most of May, and set lots of large early fruit. however, once the weather started getting hot (not unusually hot though) they didnt seem to thrive anymore, many of the large tender fruit are rotting on the vine, and the plants rate of growth has come to a crawl. After a lot of early excitement about Fishlake, now I'm not sure I will get a chance to enjoy them. I'm wondering if this would make a better fall tomato?