Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 14, 2014   #1
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Default Harry Olson's video

Harry Olson is a promoter of grafted tomatoes in containers who lives in Salem, OR.
We gave a presentation together at the Portland Nursery together and his wisdom might come in handy for those with a small backyard.

Some of my friends like two leaders in their potted tomatoes but Harry demonstrates why four leaders might be better for his conditions. Let me know what you think...I promised him some feedback. I invited him to work with me in some high row tunnels just 25 minutes from him and work with me on the four leader proposal. I have 177 varieties down there now and will have countless more soon.

Harry is growing my Skykomish and Sky Reacher in his limited back yard.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/stor...grow/10380865/
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2014   #2
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

The whole idea of pruning or not pruning is always a hotly debated subject. Obviously, taking off the main leader is pretty radical pruning. I understand the concept of "spreading out" the vitality to four equally vigorous leaders. I never argue with anyone who has done it both ways. I think there are variables that can lead to success or failure...which do not always meet the eye. Some varieties are obviously more aggressive than others. Some are shy bearers (naturally)...some prolific. I do not always count...but four leaders is close to what I usually end up with.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2014   #3
Tom Wagner

Quote:
but four leaders is close to what I usually end up with
I will tell Harry, thanks.
Old June 15, 2014   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Our French neighbors prune similar to what Harry is doing.

Ami

http://tomodori.com/3culture/taill_sur_2-tiges.htm
Old June 16, 2014   #5
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

Tom, do you know why it would make a difference that the plant he's trying this on is grafted?

Gary
GaryStPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2014   #6
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Tom,
I enjoyed the video. Would love to see a video or series tracking the progress over the course of the season. The concept makes a lot of sense. How much more production per plant is Harry getting? The pruning labor vs. production ratio is important (to me anyway).

Gary,
Some of the commercial rootstocks are incredibly vigorous. Think turbocharging an engine.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2014   #7
Tom Wagner

Harry has been promoting grafted tomatoes for about five years or more. He gets larger plants and yields and finds that four leaders are able to take the extra vigor from the root stock and gets larger tomatoes along with total production with four leaders rather than one or two and certainly more than if left unpruned.

I plan on visiting Harry at his Salem, OR home sometime this summer.
Old June 17, 2014   #8
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
Some of the commercial rootstocks are incredibly vigorous. Think turbocharging an engine.
Pretty cool idea. And the fact that there is an inherent compatibility that allows this is even more impressive. I haven't seen the video yet but intend to.
Old June 17, 2014   #9
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Pruning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
The whole idea of pruning or not pruning is always a hotly debated subject. Obviously, taking off the main leader is pretty radical pruning. I understand the concept of "spreading out" the vitality to four equally vigorous leaders. I never argue with anyone who has done it both ways. I think there are variables that can lead to success or failure...which do not always meet the eye. Some varieties are obviously more aggressive than others. Some are shy bearers (naturally)...some prolific. I do not always count...but four leaders is close to what I usually end up with.
I have done a lot of experimenting with pruning and have pruned to 3-4 branches, or more for years. I was taught to grow indeterminates with one stem, but let a plant have two one year, and it out produced all others. hmmm Anyway, since then I have tried different pruning through the years. For growing tomatoes in Alaska, it works good to have multiple branches, our season is short, and why get 1 truss per foot of plant height when you can have 3-4 or more setting.

Anyway, here is where I was at with it, (Small tomatoes- 6 branches, (standard tomatoes- 4 branches, (beefsteaks- 2-3, but a Cowlick's that has 4 is producing like a tomato factory, slabs too.

The main problem up here, in a greenhouse, becomes leaf density, then grey mold, if you don't spread them out or remove leaves if they touch. I have found in a greenhouse, that removing quite a few leaves allows me to keep branches closer together, even crossed over each other and saves space, it is about the square foot in a greenhouse, and not by choice.

I also think that branch growth evens out rather quickly as long, as a sucker gets space and adequate light to grow. I also have let 2-3 branches grow, chop them when the plants huge, and then let a sucker lower on the plant grow as the main top. This works well for big strains, and when upward growth is halted fruit sets like crazy, then the lower sucker starts the process over again, only works for a long season though.
I only had one cup of coffee this morning, so first off... I hope this babble is on topic, and I hope it can be deciphered. This is from greenhouse experience, so take it for what it is, I am small fry.

Last edited by AKmark; June 17, 2014 at 01:13 PM.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2014   #10
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

I've only tried a few grafted plants and can see where this approach would work, as the grafted plants I have in containers seem to have 4 or 5 leaders all by themselves. Most of the varieties I plant are heirlooms and they seem to be kind of temperamental; so you can't expect the same growth pattern that you usually get from grafted plants. I kind of follow the same pruning as AKmark, except for the spacing (I have none). Wind is more of factor for me, both good and bad. The more I prune, the more my plants are exposed to wind damage. If I leave them be, they start to intertwine and support each other. The flip side is I don't need to worry about mold or insects.

Last edited by Balr14; June 17, 2014 at 03:21 PM.
Balr14 is offline   Reply With Quote