Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old April 2, 2014   #106
mtretter
Tomatovillian™

I will keep tabs on this post and start a new thread if I get no response. Thanks for the heads up!
Mark
mtretter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2014   #107
solid7
Tomatovillian™

I use rock dusts religiously. Mostly I add them to encourage microbial growth in my no-till containers, but the trace elements also help. Rock dusts deplete very slowly, so they're great additions. That, and they don't take anything away from your soil The quantities added are so small, you'll never risk creating any sort of issue with compaction.

I will usually try to make/buy a mix with rock dust already added. However, each crop cycle or season - whichever comes first - I do a top dress with rock dust, ground egg shells, and worm castings, with some alfalfa hay on top. It's a really great recipe for promoting beneficial fungii, and I'll often see roots of plants growing through the top of my mulch. (just before they get air pruned) I take that as a good sign...
solid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2014   #108
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

I thought it was time to update this thread with something I have had increasing problems with lately and wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Since adding approximately 1lb of basalt dust along with my usual compost ammendments over the last couple years, I am having a bit of trouble with voles. I go to plant seeds or transplant a seedling and I encounter tunnels everywhere. I like the fact that they are mixing all the ammendments for me but it is getting to be annoying. Also, every once in a while they will kill a plant and pull it into the tunnel.

I'm wondering if it is possible these critters are attracted to the micro nutrients in the basalt dust?

Glenn
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2014   #109
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMPOSTER View Post
I thought it was time to update this thread with something I have had increasing problems with lately and wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Since adding approximately 1lb of basalt dust along with my usual compost ammendments over the last couple years, I am having a bit of trouble with voles. I go to plant seeds or transplant a seedling and I encounter tunnels everywhere. I like the fact that they are mixing all the ammendments for me but it is getting to be annoying. Also, every once in a while they will kill a plant and pull it into the tunnel.

I'm wondering if it is possible these critters are attracted to the micro nutrients in the basalt dust?

Glenn
Funny thing about fixing the soil. It benefits wildlife too. Not all that wildlife is necessarily beneficial to a garden. But once the snakes, hawks and other predators figure it out, the problem will ease up a bit.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2014   #110
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Funny thing about fixing the soil. It benefits wildlife too. Not all that wildlife is necessarily beneficial to a garden. But once the snakes, hawks and other predators figure it out, the problem will ease up a bit.
I sure hope you are right! Sometimes I start digging a hole for a transplant and I feel like my arm is going to go in up to my elbow.
Old June 25, 2014   #111
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I have watched so many plants disappear down holes from the voles and moles. I think that I have finally found a pretty good solution. I plant Fritillaria bullbs in my beds. These are a spring blooming bulbs that smell like skunks. Since I have planted these all around, my problem is virtually resolved.
These bulbs are not cheap and would not work in a tilled situation. When you dig around them the soil stinks of skunk. Repulsive to these critters I hope.
Old June 26, 2014   #112
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
I have watched so many plants disappear down holes from the voles and moles. I think that I have finally found a pretty good solution. I plant Fritillaria bullbs in my beds. These are a spring blooming bulbs that smell like skunks. Since I have planted these all around, my problem is virtually resolved.
These bulbs are not cheap and would not work in a tilled situation. When you dig around them the soil stinks of skunk. Repulsive to these critters I hope.
Very interesting Patti I'll have to check it out. I know this is off topic and there is another section for it but, have you ever had to deal with a Wood chuck? My much bigger (literally) problem. Unfortunately I do not want the expense or look of a fence. Also, I am reluctant to trap and relocate to become some other gardener/ farmers problem. This is my 3rd year with them. Live under my shed. Didn't do too much damage last year but this year it/they are really breaking my heart. No beans, no broccoli, no peas and maybe no squash. I'm not going to give up but I feel like I'm gardening for the Woodchuck instead of my family.

Glenn
Old June 26, 2014   #113
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Very interesting Patti I'll have to check it out. I know this is off topic and there is another section for it but, have you ever had to deal with a Wood chuck? My much bigger (literally) problem. Unfortunately I do not want the expense or look of a fence. Also, I am reluctant to trap and relocate to become some other gardener/ farmers problem. This is my 3rd year with them. Live under my shed. Didn't do too much damage last year but this year it/they are really breaking my heart. No beans, no broccoli, no peas and maybe no squash. I'm not going to give up but I feel like I'm gardening for the Woodchuck instead of my family.

Glenn
Well I hear woodchuck is actually quite a tasty treat. Similar to squirrel or wild rabbit, but meatier.

woodchuck recipes

Quote:
Woodchuck Pie

1 woodchuck
3 medium carrots
3 potatoes
1/4 cup of butter or margarine
1 onion, diced
2 tablespoons of flour and piecrust dough

Quarter the woodchuck and place the pieces in a large pot with enough cold water to cover the meat. Boil it for 10 minutes, then discard the water, refill the pan, and bring the liquid to a boil again. Lower the heat and let the contents simmer for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Add the carrots and potatoes and continue cooking the stew for about another 30 minutes ... until the meat is tender and separates easily from the bone. By this time, you should be able to pierce the vegetables readily with a fork.

Now, strain the liquid and reserve 2 cups. The remaining pot liquor can be saved for soup stock, or discarded.

Next, remove the cooked meat from the bones and cut it into bite-sized pieces. Melt the butter or margarine in a large, heavy skillet, add the diced onion, and cook it for 5 minutes. Then add the flour and stir the mixture until it bubbles ... put in the reserved liquid and blend the brew some more until it thickens . . . and, when that happens, combine the vegetables and meat, mixing the whole concoction thoroughly.

Finally, butter a large casserole and pour in the meat-and-vegetable mixture. Lay piecrust dough over the top of the filling, brush the pastry with milk, and place the container in a preheated 400°F oven for about 30 minutes, or until the crust has turned golden brown.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison

Last edited by Redbaron; June 26, 2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old June 26, 2014   #114
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Well I hear woodchuck is actually quite a tasty treat. Similar to squirrel or wild rabbit, but meatier.

woodchuck recipes
Good suggestion but I eat a vegan diet. I did get a good laugh anyway.

Thanks Redbaron!

Glenn
Old June 26, 2014   #115
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Good suggestion but I eat a vegan diet. I did get a good laugh anyway.

Thanks Redbaron!

Glenn
Well, it's going to be difficult to eat Vegan with the woodchucks eating all your veggies! So maybe go to the pet rescue facility and rescue a woodchuck eating dog breed! I hear rat terriers and dachshunds were bred for that very thing! Nice low profile for going right in after them!

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old June 26, 2014   #116
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Glenn
Yes they sure are a big problem. In fact I believe that it is illegal to relocate them in many states. You could try dumping a box of moth balls down it's holes, but that would just make it relocate. I have resorted to BB guns and shovels over the head. You could also invest in a vast amount of rat poison. Borrow a Coon Hound if you can.
You are right the Wood Chuck's eat absolutely everything.
Good Luck
Old June 27, 2014   #117
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Hi Composter, I'm trying not to snicker. It's a bin-there-done-that situation for me. (Just got rid of two 'chucks living under my stacked wood in the shed) I started gardening before I started trapping, so I know about the heartbreaking devastation they can wreak in just one feeding. They are definitely a pest animal, creating holes (dens) in fields (and elsewhere) that can break a horse's leg. ...Varmits!

I find there are only two ways to deal with 'chucks; keeping them out of the garden, and reducing their population. I do both, and don't have problems any more.

I find that (like everything else) it's all about choices. What I do may not be right for you. Not because it won't work, (it does) but because you may not agree with the method.

1) Woodchucks are rodents, and a rodents population density will increase with the amount of food available. So, over-planting with the expectation of getting more by planting more (1 for him and 2 for me or 2 for him and 1 for me) doesn't really work in the long run. ... Poor choice.

2) Poison... Poison is an indiscriminate killer. Enough said.

3) Restricting access to the garden (a fence) is something that works in two ways ... it saves your veggies in the short term and reduces the amount of available food for their population. Good choice, provided the fence is properly constructed for the purpose. I can provide details.

4) Hunting works to reduce any animal population. Considerations are moral objection, local ordinance, possessing firearm and safety training. Good choice, if done safely.

5) Live trapping and relocation... while this may seem to work in the short term, it is really just (for lack of a better term) a game of "musical chairs".

6) Live trapping and dispatch. My preferred method. You have the option of release should the trap contain a non-target animal (like your neighbors' cat), and you have the option of dispatch method, ...mine is to slip the trap into an open-top 55 gal. drum full of water. Again, a moral consideration.

7) Conibare, neck-brakers, snares and all other killer traps: ...More indiscriminate killers. Poor Choice.

8) Leg hold traps: Indiscriminate, not meant for release. Poor Choice. Plus catching your first skunk in one is quite an experience.

9) Deterrents: Chemicals, electronic devices, and potions, etcetera; seem to be designed to (not-so-much) remove animals from the garden , but money from the pocket.

10) Dogs: It depends on the dog. If the dog doesn't chase the 'chuck...as least you have another friend. This choice is a gamble, though; it is possible that the dog could be more destructive to the garden than the 'chucks.

Well, that's my $ .02 worth {{Or maybe it's my 2 cups of coffee's worth.}} of knowledge and beliefs on the subject. Hope there's something useful there for you.
Charlie
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2014   #118
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Worms? View Post
Hi Composter, I'm trying not to snicker. It's a bin-there-done-that situation for me. (Just got rid of two 'chucks living under my stacked wood in the shed) I started gardening before I started trapping, so I know about the heartbreaking devastation they can wreak in just one feeding. They are definitely a pest animal, creating holes (dens) in fields (and elsewhere) that can break a horse's leg. ...Varmits!

I find there are only two ways to deal with 'chucks; keeping them out of the garden, and reducing their population. I do both, and don't have problems any more.

I find that (like everything else) it's all about choices. What I do may not be right for you. Not because it won't work, (it does) but because you may not agree with the method.

1) Woodchucks are rodents, and a rodents population density will increase with the amount of food available. So, over-planting with the expectation of getting more by planting more (1 for him and 2 for me or 2 for him and 1 for me) doesn't really work in the long run. ... Poor choice.

2) Poison... Poison is an indiscriminate killer. Enough said.

3) Restricting access to the garden (a fence) is something that works in two ways ... it saves your veggies in the short term and reduces the amount of available food for their population. Good choice, provided the fence is properly constructed for the purpose. I can provide details.

4) Hunting works to reduce any animal population. Considerations are moral objection, local ordinance, possessing firearm and safety training. Good choice, if done safely.

5) Live trapping and relocation... while this may seem to work in the short term, it is really just (for lack of a better term) a game of "musical chairs".

6) Live trapping and dispatch. My preferred method. You have the option of release should the trap contain a non-target animal (like your neighbors' cat), and you have the option of dispatch method, ...mine is to slip the trap into an open-top 55 gal. drum full of water. Again, a moral consideration.

7) Conibare, neck-brakers, snares and all other killer traps: ...More indiscriminate killers. Poor Choice.

8) Leg hold traps: Indiscriminate, not meant for release. Poor Choice. Plus catching your first skunk in one is quite an experience.

9) Deterrents: Chemicals, electronic devices, and potions, etcetera; seem to be designed to (not-so-much) remove animals from the garden , but money from the pocket.

10) Dogs: It depends on the dog. If the dog doesn't chase the 'chuck...as least you have another friend. This choice is a gamble, though; it is possible that the dog could be more destructive to the garden than the 'chucks.

Well, that's my $ .02 worth {{Or maybe it's my 2 cups of coffee's worth.}} of knowledge and beliefs on the subject. Hope there's something useful there for you.
Charlie
Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the well thought out reply. Although it is not something I want to do right now the fence seems to be the best long term option for me. Funny thing is I went to see my local farmer friend last night and they laughed and gave me the old story of option 1. At the same time they told me they pretty much hunt them down an kill them. They also gave me some floating row cover and said to put it over my beans and see if it helps. I'm going to give it a try and report back on its effectiveness.

Glenn
Old June 27, 2014   #119
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Glenn, don't put too much stock in those row covers. You could get lucky, but it's been my experience ('chucks being digger) to watch as they bypass the covers by going right under. Once they know what's on the other side, it's hard to deter them. Covers may work if installed before they've had their first taste. Otherwise, they become quite persistent.

It's like a game. You build a wall ...they dig under it ...you fill the hole ...they dig it out again ...you fill it with a big stone ...they move over and dig another. It's their job, their livelihood. They get very serious about protecting their access to their garden.

Just be more persistent than the 'chucks. Plural ...because it's never just one ...there's the mate and maybe some young that will grow up to have their own families next year.

That's why your farmer friend laughed. It's why I have to suppress a snicker. You don't know it yet, but you're at war.

When you get tired of going round and round and decide to build a 'chuck-proof fence, trap them out, or both, contact me. I can help you avoid all the trial and error.
Charlie

P.S. Did you know that woodchucks have a very highnutrient density?

Last edited by Got Worms?; June 27, 2014 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Add P.S.
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2014   #120
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Worms? View Post

That's why your farmer friend laughed. It's why I have to suppress a snicker. You don't know it yet, but you're at war.
But worse is that he is Vegan. So his ethics force him to fight that war without a gun. So he could just give up gardening. Or he could sell the house and move. or....... find some way to control the rodent population. Most people are not able to instantly create wolf/coyote/bear habitat in their back yards. So that leaves domestic dog breeds specializing in rodent control, or possibly a fence? All I can say about the fence is, better be a really good fence or the woodchucks will laugh at it.

I had a new thought since woodchuck pie is off the table. You might be able to build reinforced concrete 4 feet high raised beds..... as long as the footer is deep enough a foundation..preferably down to bedrock.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison

Last edited by Redbaron; June 27, 2014 at 03:44 PM.