Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old August 23, 2014   #1
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

Default First time starting from seed and small mold

Greetings,

I am starting plants from seed for this first time indoors. I am using the burpees xl system and all has been well for about three weeks and I just noticed some small mold circles in some of the cells.

I went out and bought a fan immediately, but I was wondering if its too late? There is really only small white dots of mold in a few cells.

Sidenote Environment: The seed tray is in garage in south florida (HOT and HUMID) over t12 lights.

Thanks,

Charles

Last edited by Imthechuck; August 23, 2014 at 01:01 PM.
Imthechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2014   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

What are you growing? Have the seedlings emerged?
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2014   #3
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

they are all like 2 to 3 inches tall; eggplant, broccoli,habenero peppers, jalapenos, and different types of basil

Last edited by Imthechuck; August 23, 2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old August 23, 2014   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Mold on the surface of the soil is often just a sign of overly moist conditions. Why the tin foil walls? I suppose to reflect light but I think it closes them in too much and it must be very hot inside the tinfoil tunnel setup. I would remove the foil, keep the lights 2 inches above the tops of the plants and water from the bottom allowing the surface to be slightly dry before re-watering. Cant see the mold or your plants so hopefully they do OK. As a northerner, I don't understand the need for artificial light for seed starting in Florida in the summer. The best light there is natural light if you have it. The only reason I use lights is because I have no choice. If I had the option, I would use the sun.
KarenO
Old August 23, 2014   #5
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

the insects in august/september are really bad + humidity + rain .... you name it we have them; so this year I thought I would start them indoors

Last edited by Imthechuck; August 23, 2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old August 23, 2014   #6
snugglekitten
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imthechuck View Post
the insects in august/september are really bad + humidity + rain .... you name it we have them; so this year I thought I would start them indoors
Starting seed in late August....oh yeah, Florida!

I bought a heating pad for my babies and saw my germination rate increase exponentially, didn't keep statistics but I can only say "more, alot more."

Then again, I usually do this in early February so I don't know how relevent it is to your situation.

Last edited by snugglekitten; August 23, 2014 at 01:28 PM.
snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2014   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglekitten View Post
Starting seed in late August....oh yeah, Florida!

I bought a heating pad for my babies and saw my germination rate increase exponentially, didn't keep statistics but I can only say "more, alot more."

Then again, I usually do this in early February so I don't know how relevent it is to your situation.
Coming from another south Floridian, heat pad not relevant at all. Air temp right now is in the early 90s, seeds are germinating in 2-3 days, even peppers are at 5 or less. And now is our time to start things, we can only grow most things when it is cooler and not so rainy, and our overnight temps don't go below 75 until Nov or Dec.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2014   #8
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Karen I removed the foil

Ginger do you start your seeds in doors?

This is only my third year growing vegtables in west palm, and past seasons I started outdoor, but thought I would keep them from the bugs/humidity/rain
Old August 24, 2014   #9
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Jealous of your two seasons up here in the north. Enjoy, I hope your fall garden is great. A little air circulation and careful watering will help reduce any mold or chance of damping off. best wishes,
KO

Quote:
Thanks, Karen I removed the foil

Ginger do you start your seeds in doors?

This is only my third year growing vegtables in west palm, and past seasons I started outdoor, but thought I would keep them from the bugs/humidity/rain
Old August 24, 2014   #10
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Mine are on my patio, ceiling fan running, under grow light ( that are inadequate) . Just started them this wednesday. Patio has a roof and is screened in, but it is the same temp as outdoors. I control the water, and the fan running is essential.
BTW- take a look at the Florida TAG thread on the homepage. Your invited.
Old August 25, 2014   #11
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

good news!, Ill definitely think about it!

I bought some earth boxes this year after hearing so many good things. I wasn't so sure the earthtainer could withstand our sun.
Old August 25, 2014   #12
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
good news!, Ill definitely think about it!

I bought some earth boxes this year after hearing so many good things. I wasn't so sure the earthtainer could withstand our sun.
I'm at 43 Earthboxes. I told my husband I wasn't going to buy anymore,he said," yeah, until another sale comes along".
Old August 30, 2014   #13
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

Wow thats a lot of earth boxes

What growing media do you use?

I found pro mix but it was 60$ at a local hydroponics store
Old August 30, 2014   #14
snugglekitten
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Coming from another south Floridian, heat pad not relevant at all. Air temp right now is in the early 90s, seeds are germinating in 2-3 days, even peppers are at 5 or less. And now is our time to start things, we can only grow most things when it is cooler and not so rainy, and our overnight temps don't go below 75 until Nov or Dec.

Ya, I get it, your whole state is a giant heat pad!

Pretty nice.
snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2014   #15
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Question, if you use Pro Mix HP or BX are you adding in additional CRF's? I used grow bags with pro mix hp and added some extra lime and CRF. The large compressed bag of pro mix here in Montreal 3.8 cubic feet is $28.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote